Sign in to follow this  
JINZONINGEN73

To those in the know... is "canister" packaging

Does anyone have a rough idea on how much hard plastic "canisters", or even those metal, aerosol can looking one for the newer Knights Kingdom affect price for the consumer?

It was just Bionicle doing it for a few years, but now there's KK, Racers, 2007 Creator, etc... and likely others will follow.

It's hard to think the classic cardboard boxes aren't significantly cheaper to produce.

So like, did Lego get some amazing deal from a packaging company? ...Not that the cost of some sets don't reflect expensive packaging at times...

I am sure those "crapisters" are more costly than regular cardboard boxes !!

Pods were costly but very usable in MOCs and sorting, unlike crapisters

They take more shelf space, they are unappealing and what have you !!

I demand the return of our carboard boxes this instant !!

Rant On !!

*yoda*

It's a weird thing... I guess there's more sales from the items sticking out more in view... but is it proportionally profitable to cheaper packaging (or as you said in the case of XPods... useful) and a loss of shelf space?

I liked the first Bionicle canisters, as they actually had lids that could be used as building parts... but those days are gone.

Now I just have 8 million hard plastic containers all over, taking up more room than my Legos already do.

Those new crapisters make me real happy NOT to keep my "boxes" (used in the most generic term possible ;-) )

I guess its a trend to have "modern plastic" containers !! Even Playmo have some ugly eggs as small boxes !!

TLC is really NOT thinking of parents that have to make the Christmas Present Wrapping !! Its hard to do and turn out UGLY !! Poor Chrstmas tree spolied by ugly wrapping presents :-D

*yoda*

TLC are not idiots (despite what we often say).

I presume the added sales/profit from putting small and otherwise likely almost invisible sets more visibly on the shelf is worthwhile. Sales success is 50% retail display success.

I suggest that TLC does an experiment.

On one side: a barrel full of bagged Tiny Turbo sets. On the other side, a shelf with neatly piled up tiny Turbos in crapisters.

Dunno what the price difference would be (the bagged sets are cheaper to make, store, and ship, as well as to display)

Then, wait for 1-2 months and see which way more money is made. Obviously all here would just buy a handful from the barrel. But, what about the more typical customer.

You speak the truth. X-D

I imagine that the big, wonky canisters also GREATLY reduce pilfering.

Meh, who knows? Maybe they're taking a hit on the packaging NOW, with a planned return to boxes after their brand recognition solidifies?