Tearloch

Help with Building a Pleasure Dome

Sorry about that. I was playing with settings on Flickr and got carried away. They are public again, however I am not sure why they are not showing up again on EB.

Here is the link to the Flickr group with the pictures in question (last 2 that are only partial components).

This solution looks pretty close to some of the 1st class cars on the Glacier Express in Switzerland.

Glacier-Express-Train-Observation-Car-Switzerland-Europe.jpg

RHB9921.jpg

And someone did a lego model already

Glacier1

Wow, totally new inspiration for the pleasure dome:

6771787217_daf2d7db83_z.jpg

Anyone ever seen this? What is amazing is that this photo was taken about 10 miles from where I grew up, and I even recognize the location. This is a full length pleasure dome with a neat observation window on the rear end. This could make a pretty cool MOC passenger car.....

Brickshelf gallery of designer named grapeape is a good source.

Here is grapeape's end observation theater car prototype.

James Mathis

Here are the instructions for the James Mathis designed Pleasure Dome (Swooftie link): http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=119484

I started with these and made some changes to my own liking for my own SFSC Pleasure Dome.

I I've looked at alternatives for the dome as those glass pieces are hard to find in the US in the quantity needed but in the end I just ordered anough for 2 models from italy (as I'll be doing a Pleasure Dome in my EMD-7F update project).

The two curved panels do match-up quite well but they are a bit tall to use standing up. Maybe if you used 4 of them laid on their side that would work?

6750335061_95c89f5215.jpg

The these parts end up being 6 wide by about 11 and a half studs long, the dome in James Mathis' design is 12 studs long.

tee_obs_car_v1_1.jpg

Is this the look you are going for?

Some MLCad renderings of this type in my German Intercity Express folder.

I also designed a dome car using clear macaroni bricks.

James Mathis

This solution looks pretty close to some of the 1st class cars on the Glacier Express in Switzerland.

Glacier-Express-Train-Observation-Car-Switzerland-Europe.jpg

RHB9921.jpg

And someone did a lego model already

Glacier1

Glacier Express-inspired observation:

cityexpress_v1_6.jpg

James Mathis

Some MLCad renderings of this type in my German Intercity Express folder.

Thanks for posting this link - I had often wondered what other locomotives would pull the 7740 series carriages; I have acquired many but never the locomotive. I have various BL orders coming in with some old 1980's style panoramic windows to be able to make a nice observation car for the 7740; I wonder if they were ever officially on the TEE?

I really love your Santa Fe designs, and wish they had been 7x44 studs but then, that is the realm of MOC'ing instead of Lego designs. Thanks for some great inspiration...

And the Grey / Black glacier express inspired car are actually the 1st class observation coaches which run between Zurich and Austria; and look spot on.

Edited by roamingstudio

James Mathis...thank you so much for the pictures. That really helps visuallizing what I want to do. Unfortunately, I haven't touched this project in the last month or so. I hope to get back to this one very soon, but that depends on how much free time my wife builds into my schedule :hmpf_bad:

Can't wait to see it.

Sorry For binging up an old topic but, I finally got around to putting the decals on my WSOR Passenger fleet, Photos avaliable on my brickshelf. In the passnger car folder, near the end, are pics of the Northern View (Dome) and The Stone Gardner (theater car).

Sal

WFB, WI

Edited by legoboy3998

Sorry For binging up an old topic but, I finally got around to putting the decals on my WSOR Passenger fleet, Photos avaliable on my brickshelf. In the passnger car folder, near the end, are pics of the Northern View (Dome) and The Stone Gardner (theater car).

Sal

WFB, WI

Nice. What did you make your decals out of? You might try a red Sharpie on the edges to hide them a bit.

That full view observation car has the same window as I think I have to use. Looking good. :thumbup:

Nice. What did you make your decals out of? You might try a red Sharpie on the edges to hide them a bit.

That full view observation car has the same window as I think I have to use. Looking good. :thumbup:

Thanks, I used Papilio's Inkjet Photo Glossy Adhesive Paper. It's a little thicker than I'd like, but it'll work. I used to use a glossy sticker paper I found at a local hobby shop, but it didn't have any manufacturer info. Even the Store didn't know how or where they got it. It was nice and thin, but since I can't find it anymore, this Papilio paper should work good.

Sal

WFB, WI

Edited by legoboy3998

Thanks, I used Papilio's Inkjet Photo Glossy Adhesive Paper. It's a little thicker than I'd like, but it'll work. I used to use a glossy sticker paper I found at a local hobby shop, but it didn't have any manufacturer info. Even the Store didn't know how or where they got it. It was nice and thin, but since I can't find it anymore, this Papilio paper should work good.

Sal

WFB, WI

I have the Papilio's vinyl....works great. It was thinner than most of the paper I found, plus it wraps very nicely around corners, and even will cover odd curves (like the 4x4 hoods) by giving it a little stretch.

Edited by Tearloch