Sign in to follow this  
smitty9999

My castle collection

Hello Everyone,

Ive made a few posts in this forum so I figured it's time to show my collection. It's not very impressive. I mostly have sets between Wolfpack and the Dark Forest. I recently bought the MMV and Mill Village Raid to add to my collection. I also have a few mini figures packs from the early 90's, so I also have a few black falcons and crusaders.

I hope to take pictures of each individual set in the coming days and I'll put them in this thread.

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Ive made a few posts in this forum so I figured it's time to show my collection. It's not very impressive. I mostly have sets between Wolfpack and the Dark Forest. I recently bought the MMV and Mill Village Raid to add to my collection. I also have a few mini figures packs from the early 90's, so I also have a few black falcons and crusaders.

I hope to take pictures of each individual set in the coming days and I'll put them in this thread.

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

That's cool. I'm soooo jealous.

That's a good collection, I've started to sort out my old castles and purchase new ones too.default_laugh_new.gif

I see that you have the '6090 Royal Knights castle', I have recently purchased this one too but when I finally got round to building it I was a bit taken aback.The castle seems to not be finished off properly compared to most of the others that I have '6080 kings castle' for example. There seems to be lots of holes around the ramps and lack of rear walls.default_sceptic.gif

Do you find this to be the same with all the later castles compared with the earlier ones?.

I see that you have the '6090 Royal Knights castle', I have recently purchased this one too but when I finally got round to building it I was a bit taken aback.The castle seems to not be finished off properly compared to most of the others that I have '6080 kings castle' for example. There seems to be lots of holes around the ramps and lack of rear walls.default_sceptic.gif

Do you find this to be the same with all the later castles compared with the earlier ones?.

6081 King's Mountain Fortress has a similar design, the wall atop the raised base-plate is only 1 brick high.

From a historical standpoint this isn't entirely inaccurate, the primary obstacle that an attacker must overcome is the slope of the raised baseplate. The wall at the top is there to act as shelter for the defenders (from arrows and the like) whilst they counter-attack from the top. If you do a Google image search for York City Walls (York being a medieval town in Yorkshire, England) you'll find that their city walls aren't that tall and sit atop a much more gentle slope than the raised baseplates. If Lego wantted to be historically accurate the wall should probably be two or three bricks high with crenelations another 2 bricks, however that would have cost more and probably detracted from the playability of the set.

Edited by The_Cook

That's a good collection, I've started to sort out my old castles and purchase new ones too.default_laugh_new.gif

The rear of the castle is very open but I dont see that as detracting from the overall build and design. I think it's a beautiful castle, (probably the nicest Lego has released, in my opinion). I feel that the castle is unfairly critized for its "open concept" design. Lego was and is meant to be played with so having a tight castle with lots of high walls will severly limit the mobility of the minifigures and would make for an unpleasant playing experience for children, who I believe are the target demographic for Lego.

I think the spacious design of the castle adds to its beauty. It's fun to set up a lot of the mini figures inside the castle, waiting to march out to war, or set up horses in there for a makeshift stable. There is also some room for MOC in there, like a small black smith and what not

Edited by smitty9999

Yes I can see the reason for the wall being so low now, I never noticed the wall on '6081' but now it's been mentioned that's the same with the slope of the base plate making up most of the wall, it kind of makes sense.default_satisfied.gif

I should get round to taking pictures of my castles some time I have more of the 1980 castle sets then the other later ones though.

Thats a really nice collection you have there. I like the way you have separated the civilian and military themes. I see quite a few sought after sets as well, including the elusive Dark Forest sets. Those sets were never released in the UK which I always thought was a great pity. You also appear to have some of the largest sets from the Royal Knight and Dragon Knight themes, a pretty substantial collection overall.

On the subject of 6090, I really like that castle a lot. I think it might even be my second favorite castle behind 6086 Black Knights Castle (Although I'm also very fond of the new Kingdoms castle). Whilst the walls are very low from the rear, I think that was largely to allow for easier access to the interior. With the baseplate it would still be difficult to climb over even a short wall. Yes, it perhaps isn't the most solidly defended but I do think its one of the most impressive and beautiful castles Lego have done.

Your collection is cool, but do you want to try to get some sets from the 80's and early '90? For me they are the best.

I would like to get some sets from that time period, but I cant afford it. All the sets in my collection I have owned since they were new on store shelves. Once I pay off my student loan then I might add a few more sets.

Edited by smitty9999

I'm going to throw some pictures of each set in here and a small write up.

IMG_4764.jpg

6090 is my favourite Lego castle. It's a beautiful design with large front entrance and a guard / ghost house.

IMG_4766.jpg

The interior of 6090 is very spacious and includes a well and a dungeon. A 2nd level is visible around the front of the castle for archers. There is lots of room in the side of it for some customization for a small blacksmith or weapons shop.

IMG_4769.jpg

6036 is labelled as "Skelton Surprise" but I took the skeleton out of it since I think its lame. I use it as a small outpost instead. I decided to throw in 6034-1: Black Monarch's Ghost in the picture for no particular reason. I changed his shield and head feathers. In my Lego world, he decided to leave the Black Knight faction and join the Royal Knights, where as his counterpart 6009-1: Black Knight, is aligned with the Dragon Masters.

IMG_4771.jpg

I really like 6079 the Dark Forest Fortress. While it's not much of a fortress, it really gives the feel of a forest outpost. I had to change the roof of the wagon since I lost the original pieces. The set has two tall towers to watch for attackers and a small guard house to control the inflow of goods to the main building. The large tower has a jail in the top and a small room at the bottom of it.

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

There isn't much going on from the side, it has a strange catapult but it has some room for some customization as well as a ramp leading to a small stable.

IMG_4775.jpg

The rear of the set shows the stable on the left with a rest area on the right. Once again, there is some room back here, with about 3 or 4 studs until the end of the baseplate is reached which can allow for an expansion of the stable and rest area.

I'm going to throw some pictures of each set in here and a small write up.

IMG_4764.jpg

6090 is my favourite Lego castle. It's a beautiful design with large front entrance and a guard / ghost house.

IMG_4766.jpg

The interior of 6090 is very spacious and includes a well and a dungeon. A 2nd level is visible around the front of the castle for archers. There is lots of room in the side of it for some customization for a small blacksmith or weapons shop.

IMG_4769.jpg

6036 is labelled as "Skelton Surprise" but I took the skeleton out of it since I think its lame. I use it as a small outpost instead. I decided to throw in 6034-1: Black Monarch's Ghost in the picture for no particular reason. I changed his shield and head feathers. In my Lego world, he decided to leave the Black Knight faction and join the Royal Knights, where as his counterpart 6009-1: Black Knight, is aligned with the Dragon Masters.

IMG_4771.jpg

I really like 6079 the Dark Forest Fortress. While it's not much of a fortress, it really gives the feel of a forest outpost. I had to change the roof of the wagon since I lost the original pieces. The set has two tall towers to watch for attackers and a small guard house to control the inflow of goods to the main building. The large tower has a jail in the top and a small room at the bottom of it.

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

There isn't much going on from the side, it has a strange catapult but it has some room for some customization as well as a ramp leading to a small stable.

IMG_4775.jpg

The rear of the set shows the stable on the left with a rest area on the right. Once again, there is some room back here, with about 3 or 4 studs until the end of the baseplate is reached which can allow for an expansion of the stable and rest area.

Nice

I always wanted this set