Sign in to follow this  
ijffdrie

Review: 4801 Defense archer

Browsing through the review index, I saw I had a few of the sets that I bought as a kid that weren't reviewed yet (though none of them are still in one piece). With a little luck, I might be able to find the parts for the 4807 fire attack and 4819 rebel attack as well. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Name: Defense Archer

Theme: LEGO System / Castle / Knights' Kingdom

Pieces: 15

Minifigs: 1

Year of Release: 2000

The set was released three times in one year under different numbers(Would that make this a triple review?). The first was 1287, where it was a promotional set, 4801 was the boxed version, and 4811 was the polybagged version.

Random page. Each step adds only 1 or 2 bricks, but they needed to fill 2 entire pages with only 15 bricks, so they needed to stretch it out.

p1070001.jpg

Complete parts assortment. I don't really know what parts are rare, but 4x4 turntables are always handy.

p1070002.jpg

The (slightly worn) minifig. According to set 1287, his name is Richard the Strong, while the other sets have his as a generic archer. He doesn't have any backprinting, but he does have some fairly decent leg printing. I think a red belt would have been more appropriate though. His hair has always reminded me of curtains, but luckily, it's covered by the helmet.

p1070007.jpg

Richard in full battle-gear. Nothing special really.

p1070006.jpg

Full set

p1070016.jpg

Full set with archer

p1070015.jpg

Like most impulse sets, it doesn't have any enemies or targets, so there is no real playability on it's own. It's a nice addition to large battles though, and if you remove the green plates it can easily be integrated into a larger castle.

Any hints/tips if I decide to review the other two?

Edited by ijffdrie

Nice review! This is a cute little set, worth it more for the figure and accessories than anything else. Shields were somewhat hard to come by in the theme, so it is definitely welcome.

Tips: add some scores, e.g. minifigure 8/10 etc. You can get a good idea from other reviews of what I mean. Also, pictures are a little dark.

Edited by Stiel

Good little review. Although, a bit short compared to some. I would agree that an overview at the end would help rate this among other similar sets.

I don't have any from this theme, so this is neat indeed. The figure printing could be used for various armies actually, so that helps out a lot. And, I would go so far to say that most themes don't have enough shields.

Keep up the reviews.

I have three or four of these. There isn't much too them, but they do make for a pretty formidable defense.

Edited by smitty9999