bricks n bolts

9v Conversion on PF Lights

I read somewhere, can't remember where now, that 8870 Power Function lights had a 9v conversion built in. Looking at a picture of them I believed this was true as the middle black brick looked like it could have classic 9v contacts underneath so I bought two from the Lego online shop. Now that they have arrived I can see this isn't true as there are no metal contacts on the bottom of that middle black brick, or indeed under the PF plug like there is on the 8871 extension wire.

So my question, was this ever true or have I missed something obvious?

If it's not possible I need to buy some more conversion wires.... :sceptic:

On a side topic the PF plugs do seem unnecessarily bulky and the fact you need a conversion wire on top of the lights if you want to convert to classic 9v means that the space saved with the light design fitting inside technic holes doesn't seem that great when you end up having a four plug tower and a bunch of additional wires that all have to fit inside the loco somewhere. So may just end up going with LEDs.

I read somewhere, can't remember where now, that 8870 Power Function lights had a 9v conversion built in. Looking at a picture of them I believed this was true as the middle black brick looked like it could have classic 9v contacts underneath so I bought two from the Lego online shop. Now that they have arrived I can see this isn't true as there are no metal contacts on the bottom of that middle black brick, or indeed under the PF plug like there is on the 8871 extension wire.

So my question, was this ever true or have I missed something obvious?

If it's not possible I need to buy some more conversion wires.... :sceptic:

It was never true, just a figment of your imagination. :wink:

Either of the two PF extension leads should convert 8870 to 9V. As you say, it will be bulky.

You can of course always use your own LED's to make it less bulky :)