Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#15: Hoisting Down the Jolly Roger

yeah, I think we should try to negotiate with these scientists, they may not even be pirates, but people who were captured, and they may wish to help us.

"Let's talk to these scientists. I want to know what the trident symbol is all about."

The party announced their presence to the group of scientists by marching into the laboratory. The top-hatted men barely glanced up from their work, but a ginger-haired woman with spectacles came to greet the heroes. It seemed she was their spokesperson.

heroicaquest15-laboratory.jpg

"Yes, what is it? What does that most noble and honourable captain of yours want from us now?" the woman asked, feigning sweetness. It was obvious that she was irritated from the interruption.

*whispers to others*, I believe she thinks we are working with the Pirates, and just doesn't recognize us. perhaps they can help us but sabotaging the pirates, or making new weapons for us... What do you guys think?

"I think we should see what they're doing first. Maybe it can give us a hint on how they can help us," murmurs Hybros.

He then looks at what the scientists seem to be making, and replies to the woman:

"Yes, hehe... we were just checking on the progress of the eh... current project. Er... what do you call it again?".

"Yes, hehe... we were just checking on the progress of the eh... current project. Er... what do you call it again?".

The woman sighs loudly.

"They're automatons. How many times do I have to spell it to you dimwits? Au-to-ma-tons! And we're preparing more ether-charged cannons for you as we speak, please do not be so impatient. You will drive those Bonaparte ships away with our help, just as we agreed. Is there anything else you want, or can I get back to my work?"

*whispering * Hmm, should we ask them if they are forced to do this, or what? I mean, if they don't want to do this, maybe we can help them escape as well.

"Right, odomanons," Hybros said, clueless. He wondered at the strange devices humans seemed to come up with.

"I think we should try to sway them another way," Hybros whispered to the party. "They're supplying weapons, and that could mean trouble for both us and the Bonapartes distracting the ships for us. That means less time we have inside here. So... we could try to persuade them to stop. They seem to think we work for Jolly Roger. Perhaps Christopher could help us on that front?".

"Right, Erdathcath, exactly what I was going to say, hehe".

"I'd be willing to try to persuade them" whispered Chris to Hybros "but it might anger them if it fails, so I'll wait until we have some more information." "Hello my good lady, how are you liking your stay here?"

Edited by Fred Fred Burger

"Hello my good lady, how are you liking your stay here?"

The woman is surprised, but then a blush spreads to her cheeks as the suave knight adresses her.

"Oh well, I never did expect to find myself working for pirates when I was hired by Monsignore Legonardo, but he calls the shots. Not that I have anything against you lot, but I've seen nothing but drinking, fighting and profanities here. You seem different, though... Sorry, I did not catch your name?"

The woman looks at Christopher from under her long eyelashes and gives him a bashful smile. One of the scientists interrupts.

"Doctor Gioconda, can you come over...?"

"Not now!" the woman hisses to her underling. "Can't you see I'm talking to this gentleman... pirate?!"

She then turns her attention back to the knight as the scientist backs down.

Hybros whispers in Christopher's ear. "Ask her who this Legonardo is. Is he working for Jolly Roger?".

Good job Christopher, since you have her attention, I believe we should find out everything we can about what the pirates have wanted, and what they are planning on doing, of course, be sure to also ask where Jolly is at.

"It's Christopher, Christopher daggerfall" He says. "Sorry, but who is this Legonarde fellow?" He says inquisitively "Me and my friends are all new recruits haven't really found our bearings yet."

"And would you by chance know were Captain Blackbeard could be found? Our recruiter said the captain wanted to speak to us, but he ran off before telling us were to find him, and we don't want to keep the captain waiting, first day on the job and all."

"It's Christopher, Christopher daggerfall" He says. "Sorry, but who is this Legonarde fellow?" He says inquisitively "Me and my friends are all new recruits haven't really found our bearings yet."

"And would you by chance know were Captain Blackbeard could be found? Our recruiter said the captain wanted to speak to us, but he ran off before telling us were to find him, and we don't want to keep the captain waiting, first day on the job and all."

"Well met, Sir Daggerfall. I am Doctor Monalisa Gioconda, the head engineer of the Tritech Company."

Dr. Gioconda is taken aback by Christopher's questions.

"You don't know Monsignore Vincent Legonardo?! He is only the greatest inventor and genius of our times! He is the one who invented all these machines and gave them to Jolly Roger at the behest of his sponsors. Please don't tell me you don't know who the Ji Pei are, either! You really must be new to this area... Oh, I'm sorry but I do not know who this Captain Blackbeard is you are talking about."

Guys, default_hmpf.gif, you know how they are. He has Blackbeard confused with Captain Jolly Roger.

Dr. Gioconda, I am sure you have done a great job working with little supplies that you have, as it seems that this island isnt nearly large enough to supply you with all you need, or do you just have a amazing way to reuse natural substances? I am simply amazed at the amazing things you have made!

Guys, default_hmpf.gif, you know how they are. He has Blackbeard confused with Captain Jolly Roger.

Dr. Gioconda, I am sure you have done a great job working with little supplies that you have, as it seems that this island isnt nearly large enough to supply you with all you need, or do you just have a amazing way to reuse natural substances? I am simply amazed at the amazing things you have made!

The doctor blinks a few times in confusion.

"Oh, he confused his own boss for someone else! That's... odd. Well, I know that Jolly Roger is at his cabin on top of this fortress, like usual. Monsignore Legonardo just left to meet him, you see. But as you know, there's no getting through the door to the cabin without the über-secret password. I heard that the captain has only told the password to a select few people here, monsignore being one of them."

"As to what comes to our resources, the House of Ji Pei has been generous enough to provide us with everything that we've got. The technology that the aoi brought with them from the distant east is beyond marvelous, and I feel blessed that I'm one of the rare few who have been initiated in the craft. Have you seen our automatons in action yet? I dream of the day when all wars will be fought between machines, so that no human life will be lost in vain... Well, is there something else you wish to ask?"

Hmm, how exactly do these automatons work? I mean, how do they get the power to move? It all seems very complicated to me...

"Ah, I think you will get bored if I get into the details - it's all very mathematic, you see - but suffice to say that Monsignore Legonardo has found a way to energize metal parts with a combination of ether and certain mechanisms. If you wish to learn more, you should visit the Ji Pei Palace in Eubric someday. That is where I learned the secrets behind these wondrous creations."

Ah, a very interesting idea indeed, and far too complicated for us to understand...

Well, it seems like everything here is well under your control, I don't believe we have any more questions, that I can think of, what do you guys think?

"I think we have everything we need. It seems like we suddenly have a need to find this Legonardo," Hybros said, finally recalling where he had heard the name before. "I do wonder why the Ji Pei have chosen to work with Jolly Roger, though."

"If there's nothing anyone else wants to do here, I will try to pick the bronze lock on the door at the end of the hall. If that doesn't work, I think it might be a good idea to explore the ground floor more thoroughly."

Eric had stood aside, baffled. Science and mathematics were most definitely not his area of interest. He turned his eyes as he heard the woman wanted to build robots to fight instead of humans. "Tsk, weaklings", he muttered and turned to the party.

"Good idea, Hybros. Try to pick the lock of the door. If that doesn't work we can search for Legonardo, he's bound to be here somewhere. He'll tell us the password to the door, wether he wants to or not."

"If there's nothing anyone else wants to do here, I will try to pick the bronze lock on the door at the end of the hall. If that doesn't work, I think it might be a good idea to explore the ground floor more thoroughly."

The bronze lock turns out to be similar to the brass one the party encountered downstairs. It is evidently designed by the Tritech scientists, and it cannot be picked.

As Hybros examines the door, he hears the booms of cannons from the other side. The battle against the Bonaparte fleet is still on.

Hmm, perhaps the scientists can tell us how to open those locks? Or do you think that would be kind of pushy on the subject?

OoC: I can tell you how to open them: with a key!!! I've told you that many times already! :laugh:

OoC: I can tell you how to open them: with a key!!! I've told you that many times already! :laugh:

OOC: Wait, since when did we get keys? I mean, i would gladly use a key on a lock, but I didnt think we had any...

So, does anyone in our group have any keys? If not, then lets see what else we can explore on this level, and it appears that the massive door with odd combination is the door to Jolly Roger.