Finntech

8850 (Rally Support Truck) RC

Hi,

I got inspiration to build and motorize this model, it is "Rally Support Truck" (8850) and it was released in 1990. I believe it was the first model with new type of engine blocks and pistons? Anyway it is old school model with completely studded design. I like it a lot.

There is not many functions in the original model, working V6 engine and HOG steering. I motorized it with 3 M-motors, one for steering and two for driving.

Steering is "return to centre"-type with rubber band (Sheepo's design). It is working quite well. The model is fully RC now. Battery box is removable via two pins.

Saddly I was not able to fit the V6 engine due the room for steering motor, but I manage to fit it as V4. It is working flawless. I also did some minor changes

to the chassis and body, but I did in respect of the original design. And of course this one is black! It is probably a matter of taste, but I think it looks even better in black than in yellow. What do you think?

Pictures:

8850-1.jpg

8850_4.jpg

8850_2.jpg

8850_1.jpg

8850_3.jpg

Video (sorry about the poor quality).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UeeDicodPk

Thanks for reading. :)

Edited by Finntech

Nice moc,why is it so noisy?

It is typical sound for V4 motor. :laugh:

Actually that sound is coming from the fake engine, but I could not find the source. I guess the crankshaft is touching to something when it's spinning. Other than that it is working fine.

Very nice work you know might be able to squeeze 2 more cylinders into it if you can get your hand on a smaller battery pack but overall great job rc'ing a older technic model.

@ Alasdair:

the winch is a good idea, I'm actually having one from 8297. Maybe I give it a try!

@ T_Tank and Burf2000:

Thanks for the kind words! Yes V6 should be doable even with larger battery back, maybe for someone more experienced builder than me... This is kind of new hobby to me. :)

And yes studded parts are nice, you know I actually build the body of this car at first from studdles parts because I thought it would look better... But it didn't! Studded = looks more technic to me. :)