Sign in to follow this  
Izy

Jayne Building

Hi there all, I've been a modular AFOL for a while now, this is my first MOC ! still a WIP that's why its in LDD. (wow, like to shorten thinks up :laugh: )

Jayne Building

The Jayne Building was formerly located at 242-244 Chestnut Street Philadelphia. It was build in 1850 and demolished in 1958.

jaynebuild.jpg

This is a picture of the Jayne building (in the middle).

The Jayne building was build somewhere in 1850s where a lot of old buildings were replaced by larger and stronger structures. One of the tallest at the time was the Jayne building. On the top of the eight story building stood a large observation tower. The observation tower was destroyed during a fire somewhere in the 1900s (forgot when :sceptic:) The picture above is taken after the fire.

The Jayne building was build in order of Dr D. Jayne.

*I quote:

David Jayne (1798-1866) purchased a drug store in Philadelphia in 1836. His patent medicine business grew quickly, and he built this new building (designed by Thomas U. Walter) in 1850. The firm of Dr. D. Jayne and Son was one of the largest patent medicine firms in the United States, and this building was "the most conspicuous building of the time" in Philadelphia.

The build

After some hours of research I started building a building based on the Jayne Building. It's a pharmaceutical company so the inside will contain a public lobby at the lower floor, patient waiting rooms, consulting rooms, laboratories in the upper floors and so on.

jayne1.png

Front view of the ground floor and the first floor of the Jayne building

jayne2c.png

Rear view of the ground floor and the first floor of the Jayne building[/i]

jayne3.png

View from the side

jayne4.png

Ground level

jayne5.png

Ground level

jayne6.png

First floor

jayne7.png

Close up of the front details

That's al for now... :look:

Since this is a LDD WIP MOC I'll be posting updates in this topic!

Look forward to your replies :sweet:

That is looking good Izy, I'm looking forward for the rest of the design, particularly how you'll achieve the arched and circular details at the top.

That is looking good Izy, I'm looking forward for the rest of the design, particularly how you'll achieve the arched and circular details at the top.

The top of the building was build using Venetian Gothic architecture. I already did some research, there is a lot of information about this particular architectural style.

There is also one specific feature I want to include in this building: a small elevator which can move goods up and down the building. At the time the Jayne building wasn't build with a passenger elevator, so I like to improve the stairs a bit more aswell. I want it to look a bit like the massive escalators at the Harrods (London). If you've been there, you know what I mean. A bit smaller though :grin:

Anyway, a lot of ideas :laugh:

Thanks for the replies so far !