-R8-

LDD crashes when loading file

Hello,

Today I recently encountered a very strange glitch in the latest version of LDD. I was working on a new model in the program, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rahkshi8000/MOC/mnrr_m7.lxf

I then saved and exited out of the program, but went back and changed the name in my 'Models' folder, and then tried loading the file again just to edit something. The strange thing was, as soon as the model started to load, LDD immediately crashes to the desktop with no obvious explanation whatsoever. Even stranger, it only happens with this particular .lxf file - everything else works completely fine, even files that are larger than this.

I've tried things like running the program in compatibility mode, completely toning down all of the graphics, un/reinstalling the program, but all to no avail. I am suspecting that the source of the problem may somehow be the file itself and not the actual program, seeing as it's only this file that has the issue. I uploaded the file to Brickshelf to see if maybe anyone here is able to download and bring it up on LDD successfully?

I use the latest version of LDD. My relevant computer specs are:

Windows Vista, 32-bit

116 remaining GB on the hard drive

Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS graphics card

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

My quess is that some kind of corruption has occured and that LDD, when parsing the LXF-file, does not correctly handle the error and therefore throws you out.

Let's see if someone else know what the problem can be.

(PS: I also see the file was created in Universe Mode. Have you unlocked the new Extended Mode?)

I've been thinking some more about this. I don't think the re-naming is the problem. Can you explain some more what parts you added right before the last save? Or if you did anything else (editing, moving around etc).

Your guess seems to be correct. Now loading the file results in a message that says,

Unable to load file

Parsing of the file was aborted due to an error in the file

This only came up after I tried opening the file with the SR 3D Builder program here (wasn't sure if it could open .lxf files or not), while still keeping a backup file on Brickshelf.

The creation I made was a train, so right before the save I just laid down some train tracks and duplicated rolling stock cars.

Right after I reinstalled LDD, I did activate the Extended Mode too.

Just to confirm, I can't load it either. Opening the file gets as far as "Loading Model" and then LDD crashes and I get the "LDD Quit Unexpectedly" window.

Just to confirm, I can't load it either. Opening the file gets as far as "Loading Model" and then LDD crashes and I get the "LDD Quit Unexpectedly" window.

Strange, I can open it normal. :sceptic:

(I'm now looking at a train model whit a blue front/back :wink: )

Strange, I can open it normal. :sceptic:

(I'm now looking at a train model whit a blue front/back :wink: )

:grin: This is indeed quite strange if one person can open it and the other cannot. I was able to remake the train from memory and when I saved that, everything went completely fine. On the other hand, I rebuilt it using LDD's Extended Mode. Maybe the problem has something to do with building and saving a model while in Universe mode?

Oh, and thanks for the LDD Builder tag Superkalle :laugh:

Edited by -R8-

:grin: This is indeed quite strange if one person can open it and the other cannot. I was able to remake the train from memory and when I saved that, everything went completely fine. On the other hand, I rebuilt it using LDD's Extended Mode. Maybe the problem has something to do with building and saving a model while in Universe mode?

I looked in your file in Notepad. At the beginning of every ldd file there is some information, also about in which mode it is made.

Your model said it was made in "LEGOUniverse" (strangely, it opened in LDDextended :wacko: ). I changed that whit "LDDextended" (I looked it up in a new file :wink: ).

Then I tried to open it again, but it didn't :sceptic:

It's strange that it will open (on my computer) in LDDExtended when it says it's a LEGOUniverse, but doesn't open when it says it's a LDDExtended.

legolijntje, can you re-save the file that you could open, and upload it here. Just move one brick, so there is some difference and then save-as. It will be interesting to see if the rest of us can open it then?

Everyone who manages to crash LDD gets one :laugh:

legolijntje, can you re-save the file that you could open, and upload it here. Just move one brick, so there is some difference and then save-as. It will be interesting to see if the rest of us can open it then?

It's really weird. I wanted to "save as", but I couldn't open the file :hmpf_bad:

But last time I was able to open it :wacko: .

I tried several things in the file (in notepad), but nothing works.

There is a problem with a track part (16M, straight rail), refID 2701...

Here's a working version without the track:

http://www.pavsic.com/kocke.si/LDD/mnrr_m7.lxf

Great find

Would it help if one used the 53401 (w/o electr) part instead of 74746 (w elect)? (I'm assuming 74746 is the same as 2865 in BL?

EDIT: Just tried and that seemed to work (i.e. replacing the whole track with 53401)

EDIT2: For some reason, it seems only the 74746 track is in Universe Mode. I thought the 74746 with electricity in the tracks was the old system? So why isn't the newer 53401 in there? Besides, it seems the 74746 is really badly modelled, since it's missing the connectors to connect tracks with each other.

Yes, you're right, it's the 9V track.

Basicly all straight tracks are badly modeled, since they don't allow connections on the bottom side. I modeled new ones from plates (8x2, 8x1, 2x1), 1x1 tiles with clip and hard hoses 16L when i was constructing my train station (i had to put them on a baseplate).

I now am able to load the file successfully. I suppose it was the track that was problematic, although using the 9V track in previous versions of LDD didn't seem to create any problems.

In any case, thank you all for your help in this strange dilemma! :thumbup: