AwesomeTaylor

Vehicle building tips

I'm getting back into Lego after about 15 years thanks to an awesome Christmas gift from my girlfriend, and am working on my first real models in a long time thanks to BrickLink. But I am a little stuck when it cones to cars for my rapidly expanding Lego world. I got a copy of the city transit, and while 6studs wide cars looked big at first, I noticed that 4 studs wide looks really odd. The sports car for example looks way too thin in the middle with the wheels sticking out.

I then started noticing that the small car set, and sone other smaller vehicles are 4 studs wide.

How does everyone else make their vehicles? Do you reserve 6 studs for larger cars and vans, and 4 studs for everything else, or do you mod the cars to be 6 studs wide? I also noticed that the little 2x4 plate with wheels on that ALL my cars had as a kid seems to have totally disappeared now.

As I start to flesh out my town plans, the cars are becoming a headache!

For my town, I am old school 4wide vehicles. For fun, I MOC 6 wide trucks but I don't mix them with my town.

Pick a size you like and stick with it.

If you search the forum a bit, you'll find some threads on 5-wide cars, which are intended to solve exactly the scale problem you're describing. A number of folks use those for typical passenger cars, 6-wide for trucks and larger vehicles, and 4-wide only for very small cars. I think that's the way I'm going with my town setup, though I have a long way to go.

5-wide also provides the added fun of trying to deal with the odd width.

Personally, it all depends on the theme I'm rolling with.....if it's classic town....4 wide, city....4 and 6 wide, my own MOC designs i.e. for my town.....6 wide cars, small trucks & vans, with 8 wide for heavy vehicles with larger wheels of course.

Brick On ! :grin:

Hi, I like to keep it the same as the Lego sets so 4 wide for cars and 6 wide for trucks. If I had a 6 wide car on the road with some 4 wide cars it would just look odd.

Welcome to Eurobricks, AwesomeTaylor. I know the problem as I struggled with it a few years ago. I never had a dark age as such, but for a long time I didn't use minifigs because they are so awkwardly shaped. When I got back into minifig scale building (through a competition run by the Lego users group that I joined), I decided to once again look into building cars for my minifigs.

I like the size of the larger vehicles LEGO sells in their city sets nowadays (although I don't like how the wheels always stick out), but not so much the regular cars (four wide bodies, five wide including the mudguards, six including the tyres). As a compromise I decided to make the body of most of my regular cars five wide and use smaller tyres for them. Here's an example showing the size comparison between a truck (fairly closely based on the trucks you can get in sets) with one of my first five-wide cars next to it.

2620741218_85e48ce7bf.jpg

Eurotrans truck (5) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I wrote a fairly lengthy post about the choices I made about a year ago here on EB. Perhaps it'll be of use to you. The small city car fits into my car collection nicely by the way.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks so much! I hadn't considered 5 wide - but just your own little red car gives me lots of ideas! I think I might just try that, and take a look at some stuff online that is 5 wide for inspiration. Also, your wheels are gorgeous! You said they come from the racer sets?

Thanks a lot, this post and your previous one you linked to was very helpful! I will have to do more research. I think I have plenty of time before I can afford to buy more Lego after this weeks BrickLink binge, so that lots of time to try some new techniques out on LDD! :D

Also, your wheels are gorgeous! You said they come from the racer sets?

They're these wheels. They're great for cars.

My suggestion would be to try building the same car in a number of different sizes, to see which one looks best to you. Maybe try 4, 5 and 6 studs wide?

I'd consider all my vehicles to be of a similar scale. I have vehicles in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 wide, so it really does depend on the vehicle in question.

Edited by Ricecracker

Thanks Awesometaylor,

Ricecreacker tends to build his vehicles marginally larger than mine, but the exact scale largely is a personal preference. I like this scale because I think it goes well together with cafe-corner compatible builings -which is what the competition that got me back into using minifigs had to do with- and in collaborative displays the cars go well together with many of the vehicles from the sets -even the ones I don't particularly like :classic: . The overall size of the red car isn't all that different from the size of the LEGO city sports car, but IMO it looks much more like a real car.

There obviously are drawbacks. There are some things you can do as an AFOL that simply aren't suitable for sets. The odd-wide construction makes them more complicated and also means that they consume rather a lot of parts for their size, such as jumper plates, 1x1, 1x2, and 1x3 plates and 1x1 tiles. I made several pictures showing some of the construction. Feel free to copy parts you like. Some of the first five-wides I built weren't pretty and it took me a fair bit of fiddling to really get the hang of it :hmpf_bad: .

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Depends if you want to make vehicles that are realistic, functional, swooshable, or detailed.

4 wide- swooshable

5 wide- realistic, detailed, swooshable(some of them)

6 wide- detailed, functional, swooshable

I like 6 wide(7 with wheel wells) cars because their easy to make and you can play with them, however they are on the large side so I ended up making the trucks 8 wide. But in the end, it depends on your style of building and the reason you're building. You can see some of my stuff in my sig.