Sign in to follow this  
Janus

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 8821 Rogue Knight Battleship

Set: Rogue Knight Battleship

Cost: $20.00 USD

Elements: 152

Minifigures: 3 (Two Rogue Knights and Sir Kentis)

Minifigures

Minifigures without accessories

Minifigures without Armor

Minifigures without Armor 2

Full Set

The set is divided into two parts, the Rogue Knights' Ship and a small dock/tower which Kentis feels the need to defend. I'll start with the ship.

Battleship

Inside the ship

The Anchor

The Catapult

It's a fairly simple ship. Has TLC's obligatory firing device, a simple (but welcome) anchor system, and some towers to stand on. I really like the wing sail idea, I think it looks quite nice, albeit not very realistic (though we can't be expecting KK to be realistic anymore, and if you are expecting realism, you are in the wrong department). I do have an issue with the ship however, and that is the towers are a bit flimsy. A lot of the ship could have been secured more, as you can probably tell by looking at the pictures. It looks almost unfinished inside; it's kind of a mess of thin plates. But other than that, for a small fantasy ship, it looks nice.

The Tower:

Tower and Dock

Backside

Catapult

Once again, it looks nice for being just a small peice of land. I think the addition of the torch has a lot to do with it, because it gives it more of the dark/foggy feel that makes the color scheme work. The large mountain peice could have been replaced with normal bricks or at least the mountain wall peice, because it's just too pointy and makes the entire tower flimsy looking (though it actually stays together well). The one piece tower at the top also could have been redone with some classic peices, but that's the way LEGO seems to like it.

Summary:

It's nice, but it seems unfinished or quickly done in several places. It definitely could have used more peices to warrant my $20, peices which I think were necessary. But other than that, the wings were implemented well, the catapults fire decently, and the accesories on the knights (especially the dragon shield and the mace made from normal pieces) are nice. $15 would have been a better price for this set.

Initial Score: 10/10

Minus 3 for overpricing

Minus 2 for flimsy design

Minus 1 for juniorization

Plus 1 for innovative sails

Plus 1 for accessory choice

Final Score: 6/10

Tks Janus for your cool review ;-)

I would like to see a pic of the torsos without the armour please ;-) Tkds in advance

*yoda*

Which hull does this ship use? It looks like a miniature version of the Flybo hull which would open up some interesting ship building possibilites, namely pirate ships of course :-D

I can't really describe the hull. It's very curved on the bottom, except for a small portion for studs. It's actually 2 of the same part, held together by technic pins. Perhaps someone can name it, the manual gives it as number 4212507. It probably could be used very well for small pirate MOCs.

Thanks a lot for the review!!

What I like from this ship is that in addition with the Knights' Battle ship you will be able to recreate a KK sail battle!!! which for me, it's excellent... then, I have to say that I agree and would like to see more pieces in both the ship and the tower.

Whatever, it looks pretty! :'-)

If the Rogue Knights would not have black torso's and chroches,but yellow ones,they would be naked.I think that tan would be better.Just so they look less...exposed.

The boat looks sweet,the dragon wings kind of give it a Middle-Earth theme.

I can't really describe the hull. It's very curved on the bottom, except for a small portion for studs. It's actually 2 of the same part, held together by technic pins. Perhaps someone can name it, the manual gives it as number 4212507. It probably could be used very well for small pirate MOCs.

Yes, like expanding my River Runner. Good review, I want to buy two, one to keep, and one to MOC with.

i look at this set and i cant help but wonder.. "what is TLC doing??where are they going with this?"

when i first saw this set i hated it...now that i looked at the review i hate it even more!

1)there is a serious luck of color in this set..compared to old castle sets that still had their way to use color..

2)what is this boat about?what are those horrible wings about?i dont know the KK story so if this is a part of it ok..but not everybody is familiar with that..

3)what is that little horrible dock?what is the point of it!

4)this is SOOOO <insert that tiresome argument>!!!

5)the whole thing looks like someone threw these parts together and said "hey lets make a set with them"

The design is SO bad

The only good thing about this is the minifigures..I really like the trousers-less soldiers.

it makes me think that maybe we will see an ancient Greek_Roman lego theme coming soon!! (lets hope)