Sign in to follow this  
Fallenangel

Simple mods to a classic set

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Having recently rediscovered MLCAD, I decided to replicate a classic set, the 7134 A-wing, not only because it was one of the smaller LEGO Star Wars sets of that time, but because I'm quite fond of the set, despite never having owned it.

Click here - the pics are .bmp files, so I can't deeplink them.

However, considering the ease with which you can change part colors on MLCAD (a feat not easily accomplished with real bricks) I decided to fool around with the rendering a bit. The first thing I did was "repaint" the set. One thing about the set you can nitpick is the fact that the colors are really off; I decided to correct the color scheme a bit, and this was what resulted:

It definitely looks more accurate than the original.

Looking closely, you can also see that I fixed the inside of the cockpit to be completely dark gray rather than the colorful bash LEGO likes to make their starfighter cockpits with.

Having done this, I was about to move on when I recalled the blue diecast A-wing released by Hasbro a few years back, as well as Jerrec's fantastic blue A-wing custom. I "repainted" the set again, and came up with this:

Yeah, it's blue. I think I should've made the 2x4 slopes in front blue as well, but I already took screenshots.

Note that alterations to this set are purely cosmetic; I did not change the actual build or the shape of the pieces used in any way. So naturally there were a few restrictions.

I'm planning to "repaint" the 7141 Naboo fighter to represent the blue variant shown in the Phantom Menace video game next, if anyone's interested.

And I'm not sure whether this belongs here or not, but I've been wanting to do a review of my 7658 Y-wing for a while (as well as some older sets); what's been stopping me is the fact that there are already reviews of the sets and nobody might care. So should I or not...?

I didn't make the newer A-wings because I think that the original 7134 is closer in shape to the actual model in comparision to newer 2006 or the 2009 versions. (The discontinued 4x8 wings are closer to the real angle of the ship than the 3x12 wings IMO.) And on top of that, I think the newer versions have more pieces, so it would have taken more time. (The newest version has a few pieces at an angle behind the canopy; angled pieces are difficult on MLCAD for me.)

And of course, the original LEGO A-wing has that "classic" feel to it.

However, if it will induce more comments, I will make a rendering of the newest A-wing in blue and red as well.

Nice repaint job on the A-Wing fallenangel327. default_thumbup.gif I think you corrected the inaccuracies of the colors in the official set pretty well. We would like to see you do also the repaint of the new A-Wings, as well as the Blue version of the Naboo starfighter (which I haven't seen before).