Sign in to follow this  
meenmichael

Missing Sets from My Brick Palette

Hello everyone, this is my first post!

I was originally planning on only being a lurker on these forums, as posted news and other people's answered questions seemed to give me any and all info I would ever need... that is until I decided to download LDD yesterday.

In all the tutorial videos and FAQs I could find, the "Filter Bricks by Boxes" is filled with lots of sets from Lego's inventory. However in my program (I'm on a Mac-10.6), there are only two options: "Design By Me" and "Atlantis". Additionally, I have to be in the Creator theme for it to show any of the sets from "Atlantis".

My question is, how do I get to choose from all of those sets from all of Lego's various themes?

Thanks so much for the help!

When you installed Lego Digital Designer 3.1, did you then follow the instructions for "Lego Universe Mode"? See the blue "Super Topic" on the Eurobricks LDD Index Thread http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39841 . It says "SUPER TOPIC: Get access to all hidden bricks in LDD - Lego Universe Mode: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=40794 ."

Once in LDD LU Mode, upon startup you should see Starter Models for DesignByMe, Mindstorms, Universe, and Creator in the center of your screen. You can import any LDD .lxf file by using this procedure:

1. Select the "Choose Free Build" option at the center of your startup screen.

2. Next, select FILE--> Import--> [select the .lxf file].

3. If the LDD model was "zipped", when you unzip it it will uppack into a file named "Image100". To import that, in the IMPORT screen you'll have to change the dropdown selection (at the bottom-right) from "LXF-Files (.lxf)" to "LXFML-Files (.lxfml). The "Image100" file will then appear in the Import box. Once you drop it onto your LDD baseplate, do a "FILE--> Save As" to name your imported file. It will then have an .lxf extension.

Well, I decided not to install the Lego Universe parts as I might want to upload my model to Lego and order the parts. Using those LU parts mixed in wouldn't allow me to by all those parts for real.

But I don't think I need to do that. The tutorial video on Lego.com had multiple sets in their Brick Palette, and I assume you wouldn't need to do the LU download to get my interface to look like theirs. Are you saying I need to import these set files regardless, as they are somehow in the application folder but not automatically imported when I open the application for the first time? I get the feeling I shouldn't have to do this manually.

To get other sets, when you open up LEGO Digital Designer, click the LEGO Mindstorms or LEGO Creator tabs immediately above the "Choose a Starter Model", "Choose Free Build", and "Choose a Recent Model" options. Alternatively, once the startup screen is gone and you have a file open, hover over View>New Themes in the top menu bar to open up a different theme.

Your palette will still be limited no matter what theme you choose, but you'll have different brick options, and additionally once in the Mindstorms or Creator palette you can hit the "Turn Off Filters" button to get both the parts of the theme you've chosen and the default DesignByMe parts. Or, once in the Mindstorms or Creator theme, you can choose the "Filter Bricks By Boxes" button to filter more specifically by the sets available in the Mindstorms, Creator, and DesignByMe palettes. The only reason your choices are limited in the default DesignByMe mode is so that kids don't get confused over why they can use bricks that they're not allowed to purchase. If you start out in a theme you can't purchase from, you'll be given the full array of available sets and themes.

However, despite this convenience, there is still a major hitch: Only the bricks in "DesignByMe" mode can be uploaded to the DesignByMe gallery. You can distinguish these from Mindstorms- or Creator-exclusive parts because the DesignByMe bricks have a light bluish-green box around them in the brick tray. Parts that aren't in DesignByMe will have a plain white background. Also, if you try to use a non-DBM piece in your model, there will be a warning message pop-up that "If you use this brick, you will not be able to check the price of your model or upload it to the online gallery".

For this reason, if you really want to upload a model onto the DesignByMe gallery, you'll stick with the default DesignByMe theme palette. However, you can upload an LDD file to Brickshelf no matter what theme you use (even LEGO Universe mode). Just browse for it in My Documents>LEGO Creations>Models to find the .lxf file, and when you upload it it will be available for anyone to download.

Okay, I think I got it! By going to the Creator or Mindstorms theme and then turning off filters, I get the whole selection of available parts (not including LU parts of course). I was slightly confused because I incorrectly assumed that most sets in real life production by Lego were included in the program, when in fact only a few sets are. I was expecting to see, for example, Star Wars and Architecture sets (and any special pieces and mini-figs), that I could then use on my own.

I'm still a little disappointed that only a fraction of the available parts are actually able to be uploaded and bought, but that is a limitation of Pick a Brick I assume. However I can now see and select most of the parts in LDD.

Thank you both for the help!

@ meenmichael: Be sure to monitor the LDD Index Thread regularly for tips and updates. Also, if you look at this list of Official Lego Sets modeled in LDD , you may find something that you like. Finally, the Lego.com DesignByMe Gallery has a rotating set of other people's MOCs. Sometimes there are some good LDD .lxf models that you can download; search in the Category you like. :thumbup:

Yes, I have looked at those two threads. Those official Lego sets made by fans are very impressive and must have taken a lot of work and determination. I am definitely going to enjoy experimenting with LDD to see what I can come up with myself.

Thanks again.