Sign in to follow this  
KurttKrueger

Futuron Cargo Carrier LDD WIP

Greetings folks,

After being rather taken by the new Spaceman minifig found in the collectible minifig series 1, and also looking forward to the summer wave of SPIII, I decided to bring back the neutral faction that is Futuron. Using the Spaceman minifigs as the main characters (with head swaps, of course), I went about designing a cargo carrier for them, that could be the target for a Black Hole Gang heist.

I've based it on the Galactic Enforcer from the SPIII line, with other elements thrown in, such as the wing and engine assembly from a Republic Gunship. Also trying to get a 'Thunderhawk' feel, for those familiar with Warhammer 40K. I imagined that it could be used for either cargo haulage or space exploration, being kitted out accordingly.

Its still work in progress, with lots of greebling and final colour choices, but please let me know what you think. If I'm happy with the final design, I'll probably realise this in actual Lego.

LDDScreenShot3.png

LDDScreenShot4.png

LDDScreenShot5.png

LDDScreenShot6-1.png

LDDScreenShot12.png

LDDScreenShot13.png

As I said, still quite a bit to go before it's finished, such as the interior detailing and external greebling.

C&C is appreciated!

Cheers,

Kurtt

The general body shape looks really nice, and I can't wait to see the final product :thumbup:

Ok, so I've added some further detail and greebling, as well as the start of the interior. Let me know what you think.

LegoFuturonFinal1.png

LegoFuturonFinal2.png

LegoFuturonFinal3.png

LegoFuturonFinal4.png

LegoFuturonFinal7.png

LegoFuturonFinal8.png

LegoFuturonFinal10.png

Cheers,

Kurtt

That looks rather nice ship. I especialy like the cockpit(with two minifigs seating in diferent heights), and rear engines.

Only thing that would looks even better would be, that you remove middle section, and put there container (or smth like that), to represent cargo, that your ship picked up. This way it could be more useful for diferent cargos(container,space car(rover), military vehicle etc.)...

Ok, I've made a few tweaks to the original design, and I think I'm fairly happy with it. I was hoping to go with green accents, and use the cargo stickers from the new Undercover Cruiser set, but I quite like how the red and gold mirrors the Futuron symbol.

Let me know what you think.

LegoFuturonCargoCarrier1.png

LegoFuturonCargoCarrier3.png

LegoFuturonCargoCarrier4.png

LegoFuturonCargoCarrier5.png

LegoFuturonCargoCarrier6.png

Cheers,

Kurtt

The various accents and whatnot look fine, but I can't help thinking that overall it looks kind of like a shoebox with some doodads glued to it.

You have, however, inspired me to make a cargo ship of my own. Though it will not have a main cargo bay, but cargo pods that are easily interchangeable. One of the largest sections of commercial transport is inter-modal containers. That will be the basis of my cargo ship and pods.

KurttKrueger, oh how did you install those wonderful parts (windscreen etc) on your LDD? It obviously requires some kind of third party extension download. I'm seriously out of the loop, I need help... :cry_sad:

Fine ship however, I'm MOCing something similar (Galactic Enforcer mod) in real brick here at home...

KurttKrueger, oh how did you install those wonderful parts (windscreen etc) on your LDD? It obviously requires some kind of third party extension download. I'm seriously out of the loop, I need help... :cry_sad:

Fine ship however, I'm MOCing something similar (Galactic Enforcer mod) in real brick here at home...

I'm using it in Lego Universe mode. Those a guide on how to do it in the LDD sub forum of the Lego General Discussion forum.

It's a fine looking ship, but not genuine Futuron colors if that's what you were going for.

Great to see the progresses of your model. It is a very beautiful one.

The only thing I think that needs some more work is the back ramp hatch.

It looks a little off in black. Would also look great if you added some inverted slopes or greebles to it.

Otherwise overall, just beutiful.

Thanks for the positive comments so far folks, its very encouraging!

I've been working on an alternate design for this ship, based on some of the feedback I've had so far. I'm a little concerned it borrows to much from the Republic Dropship, so may stick to the original design. This version isn't complete, as I plan to but a grapple assembly in the centre for cargo transport. Either way, let me know what you think.

LDDScreenShot18.png

LDDScreenShot20.png

Cheers,

Kurtt