Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Renegade Redcoat Rum Runners!

What can I say? It's a splendid MOC, I feel that it's a shame you destroyed it so early.

The texture and color on the house is splendid; from afar it really does look as though it was made from stone! And speaking of stone, the rocky texture of the entire cliff is great. The various directions of slopes mixed with normal bricks, the studs, and all the types of gray make it very realistic. The fact that you added a rocky trail upward is just a great example of attention to detail. It really adds something.

The flowers and plants give some life to the MOC, with lines of the lime and normal greens through the cliff and the patches of flowers that give it a nice splash of color. The tree is well built, with leaves all around, and a strong trunk. It's a tad awkward to see that kind of tree and then a palm tree though.

The sand is uneven and nice, and then there's some nice white Cheese slopes for the water to give it a 3D effect. I like the variation in color in the water, although using 4 colors, including Dark Blue, could add some really nice complexity there. If you were somehow able to use shades Trans Blue tiles, that could have been just gorgeous. The dock has a neat curve going on, that I haven't seen in other entries. The unevenness of the tiles give it a realistic and rickety feel.

The little outpost has a simple stone fence, which serves its purpose. The action throughout the entire MOC is nice, with minifigs doing all sorts of things! From sitting by the house, walking up the trail, guarding the outpost and hauling barrels, it's just chock full of stuff.

The house is magnificent. Once again, the texture is great, but also the shape, and the porch are really realistic additions. The minifigs nearby are moving their arms, smiling and adds to the aforementioned action. The use of the ribbed Tubes [i think that's what they're called] for the black fence is a really neat technique, and allowed a nice bend throughout.

This MOC just has it all, and I really do think we have a winner in the Large Category [from what I've seen]. Still, who knows, so good luck! :pir-tongue:

[-TA-]

Right, firstly i can see quite a bit that can be improved, expecialy that palm tree thats really buggin me. Secondly, i wish i hadnt rushed it in a weekend because i thought i wouldnt have any other free time, but as it turns out i now have loads of free time(always the way). And thirdly, i wish i had built a few more buildngs and a bigger cove, infact, i would have done it all differently! :pir_laugh2: But i do really like the name! There we go, thats my critique for this model :pir-classic: