xwingyoda

Airport Pic Review !!

I hope you will forgive me for posting on this thread so long after it ended, but I just got the set yesterday. I figured saying something here was better than starting a whole new thread.

No, you're going to get sued, tried (without defense), and jailed for that!

:-P

Of course it's ok, and the thread's not that old, anyways, and this way the forum doesn't get too complex. So, np :-)

A larger base for the building would have been nice, as it is very cramped in certain areas (e.g., when you walk through the revolving door you almost run into the counter). I also don't like the holes around the revolving door, or the open waiting areas on top of the roof. Had they built a slightly more solidified entrance, and used the clear pieces to expand the airport width (moving the seats down to the ground floor), I think it would have been a bit better.

That's what I thought, too. I haven't gotten this set (yet) but I've seen it set up in the Hamburg LEGO store and found it too small width-wise. A "lower" but "longer" main building like in 6597/10159 would have been nice. Then I wouldn't mind the missing tarmac.

I also found the stairs to be very unstable, and more than once the entire area collapsed on me under very minimal stress.

Interesting. Another set (of very few, though) that seems to just have been "thrown together" to bring it on the market in a timely manner.

And as a lot of others have said, a couple baseplates to land on, not to mention some extra minifigs, would have been nice.

Yeah, the times of 12 minifigs with an airport set are gone (6597/10159) :'-(

On the other hand, there is a lot that I liked about this set. I like the overall look of the airport, and the way that they tried to incorporate a lot of stuff that you'd actually have at an airport (gate, luggage check, luggage revolving thing, vehicle for transporting items, lots of seating, etc).

I really like the luggage thingy because it uses existing bricks and is so simple.

I also liked the plane, despite some probably justifiable critiques of it. I really don't consider the "<insert that tiresome argument>" pieces to be a problem here, though I can understand the want for more foundational pieces.

I'm still uncertain about the plane. Maybe I can get the plane alone from someone who has one too much (yoda? ;-)).

As far as the large pieces go, though, I remember having much larger window pieces for the late 80's and early 90's space sets (like 6988 and 6953), and I didn't mind them back then.

Well, I also like some pieces that could be called <insert that tiresome argument>. Castle walls, for example. But those were made nicely, looked good, and "served a purpose". That new wing piece is just... I dunno... lack of design talent...

And despite my complaints above, the basic foundation that this airport provides is a really good one to build upon, so that with some minor alterations and expansion this could be a really large, nice-looking set.

I agree. But who's gonna buy 3 or 4 of those, especially for the European price?

As to whether it is worth $85, I don't know. My not having had an airport set might play into my thoughts, but in the end I do think it is worth the price, especially considering the potential it has for nice MOC's.

If you really mean 85 Dollars then that's ok IMO.

Yes, it doesn't have a lot of basic bricks, but IMO many sets today have too many basic bricks (e.g., the larger Star Wars sets), so in the end I think it balances out.

Hmm... too many basic bricks? Dunno... I couldn't have too many of them ;-)

Set 7894 landed on EB !!!

How can an entire airport land in cyberspace?In fact,how can an airport land at all? X-D :-P