Darth Legolas

If you could change any one thing about Lego...

I think the one thing I'd change is those dreaded Bionicle Canisters. Now I understand they're collectibles or something, but when I checked the other day at the store, only the center of the can was recycle-able, meaning tons of ABS Plastic (the stuff they use in regular Lego pieces,) were being wasted on the tops of cans and the occasional bottoms. So now, if that had all been either boxed or all recycle-able, all of that plastic would be put into real Lego pieces, things that don't get thrown away like cans. :hmpf_bad:

As with box size, the bright intricate BIONICLE canisters are one of the main things that sell the product. Without them the sets wouldn't sell nearly as well, and would probably stop being made. Plus, the canisters are fun to build with whenever they come with LEGO connection points. :grin:

The main thing I would change is shipping costs on S@H. The shipping to NZ or Oz is absurd for small items, and only gets more expensive. Although the shipping price caps off with a big enough purchase, I could never justify buying enough LEGO to get a decent rate on postage. :sadnew:

I'd change the target audience. In time I can see TLG forgetting about that fickle bunch called "kiddies" and making LEGO for adults and education only, but that could take another 20 years and I don't want to wait! Why? When that happens it'll be the end of silly things like shooting functions and <insert that tiresome argument> building. Also, it'll probably move to on-line only with less money wasted on over-sized boxes and with one price worldwide so overall it'll be cheaper, and thus pleasing what seems to be a common wish.

Am I delusional? Possibly, but it's my wish! :tongue:

That would be very nice however i doubt Lego would ever stop producing set aimed at kids due to two simple facts.

1. Its simply too profitable

And 2. Most of the adult users on this site where drawn into Lego when they were young, so if "kids" Lego was scrapped then the future AFOL community would probably die off in a couple of generations.

The little amount of time that a set is available for.

And also, under the LEGO logo on every box, I'd put: 'It's leh-go, not lay-goes god damn it! :angry: '

Gaaaahhhhh! I hate it when people say that! It drives me crazy! :sing: Thank you so much for bringing this up. :thumbup: It's one of my pet-peeves. people need to learn how to correctly pronounce Lego, and if they can't, we should be able to take all their Lego away from them. :devil:

As with box size, the bright intricate BIONICLE canisters are one of the main things that sell the product.

And that's the problem. The box is what sells the product for bionicle. (most of the time) I'm not trying to make all you Bionicle lovers mad, as I don't want a flame war, so I better explain myself pretty quickly. SOME pieces are useful, as many have proved, but I feel that Bionicle has lost it's imaginative side. Now Lego is making one time molds for it, and they can't make more than a couple new system pieces each year? It's just wrong. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of Bionicle, I collected the first two years of it. It's just not like Lego to produce a piece that can only be used as one thing in a certain set. You see what I'm getting at here? I want Lego to use pieces repeatedly in different ways, not make a one use piece in every set. OK, that's all I have to say about Bionicle. It's not a bad line, I just feel that it's lost it's imaginative side.

but I'd ditch yellow minifigs and produce them all in flesh tones.

I would rather keep yellow, but yes, it would be better if Lego just stuck with one color. The problem I see is, with the steep racial climate we have right now, I don't think we really want to produce them in different skin tones. This is Lego for crying out loud, it's a toy! Why change the color of the minifig after you've been producing it yellow for over 30 years? I think for the most part that it was the change that angered AFOLs, same with the frown and bleys.

Edited by Spyder

The little amount of time that a set is available for.

And also, under the LEGO logo on every box, I'd put: 'It's leh-go, not lay-goes god damn it! :angry: '

Everytime someone says it like that, a child with a cleft is born.

Everytime someone says it like that, a child with a cleft is born.

Then gosh, the people I know are true devils. "Stop playing with Laygoes!" :tongue:

On Topic: Can someone please explain to me the difference in part quality from the 90's to now? I Have tons of bricks from the 90's and besides the fact that Lego changed the color slightly, when I put an old Gray brick against a new Bley brick, I see no difference. :tongue:

I totally agree with you.

And please, make non-fantasy Castle sets.

I also agree with you!

On Topic: Can someone please explain to me the difference in part quality from the 90's to now? I Have tons of bricks from the 90's and besides the fact that Lego changed the color slightly, when I put an old Gray brick against a new Bley brick, I see no difference. :tongue:

Read this. There have always been quality problems, but we've seen more of them in the last three years than at any other time in the past. The best quality was probably achieved from roughly 1989-1995, with a minimum amount of issues and printing used in most places instead of stickers.

I think TLG's overall attitude towards quality has changed, and their CEO hinted at that in an interview some years ago. Like a lot of companies, they have realized that the vast majority of buyers are not discriminating about quality and that "only the best is good enough" is simply not an optimal business strategy. That being said, things do seem to improving slowly from what they were like two years ago.