Keith Turner

Set 7642 - Lego Garage

This cost £69.99 it TRU, so I assume £68.50 from www.lego.com

Ouch. That is quite steep. I'm not quite sure whether I'd be willing to pay that much for it. I rarely buy LEGO at full price anyway, since I see sets mainly as parts packs. If Toys R Us do another 'three for the price of two' deal sometime this year, this one will be attractive.

Cheers,

Ralph

Perhaps we've been spoiled with the quality of the vehicles in recent years and don't quite appreciate that this is light years ahead of what LEGO used to do until five years ago. I rather like this. The red truck is very nice, the blue pickup truck is OK as well and the tow truck is truly excellent. You could put that in a city display at a public event without changes. What they could make of the garage has probably been limited by wanting to keep the price down, but there's a lot of useful stuff in it. The door, obviously, but take a closer look at that work bench and the office. It's all very neat. I'm not at all fussed about there not being any car doors in the trucks.

Well, when I first saw this topic, I found myself agreeing with svelte corps, but now that I've looked over the pictures again, I think my opinion is more in line with yours, Ralph. This new garage may not be quite as good as some of the other buildings we've gotten in the City range, but it's still a well designed kit with plenty of features. The office and the three vehicles included are quite nice, and the play features like the crane, car lift, and opening garage door all will be great for kids. Even the piece selection is actually pretty decent - I see lots of yellow, orange and green tiles, trans-smoke garage doors and windows, and other goodies. The only real problem is the price, but we all know that that is more of a widespread issue than a unique glaring problem with this one kit. :wink:

I too remember how bad the quality of town kits was back in the Town Jr/City Center age. The two "garages" they released during that time period were both very similar, and they were both horrible. All they had going for them was simplistic, unrealistic vehicles, 20 piece buildings with shabby interiors, and a complete lack of play features. I mean, look at them:

6426-1.jpg

6434-1.jpg

It's taken a while to get from that tripe to where we are now, so I think we need to be a bit more positive. :tongue:

whats with lego these days. they have trucks that not only doesnt have doors but also a steering wheel ie the tow truck.

whats with lego these days. they have trucks that not only doesnt have doors but also a steering wheel ie the tow truck.

I don't own the set, but pictures show the tow truck has a steering wheel.

http://www.bricklink.com/TL/2160.jpg?1

And as others pointed out in this thread three months ago, I'll take "lego these days" over Lego 10 years ago. I'm still not going to buy this set, mind you. :tongue:

I agree with you guys that this set is pretty bad. I picked it up a couple of months ago from TRU 20% off, which still was not a great deal. Once I built the set, decided to do some mods. Here is what I came up with:

102_4060.jpg

102_4058.jpg

I know it has grown a lot from the original, but I was able to get all the features it needs.

You can see more here and check out the rest of the gallery here

I like your mods, it looks like a complete garage with petrol station now. However, the way you built in makes it not possible to use for playing. The whole white garage is closed up. You are able to open it, but without function. I would have chosen for a bit more open structure, maybe some workers inside. But he, that would be my idea, I think you did really wel with modding the complete building. :thumbup:

Your mods are fantastic. :classic:

I just might pass out if Lego actually gave us a City set like that. :laugh:

I think that deserves its own topic, you should make it one... :wink:

-darthperson