Sign in to follow this  
mania3

Instruction storage and organization

This works best for me:

Although I am stuck on some larger books - They are longer than the binders, and page sleeves do not hold them as well. Right now they are in a Tote and it bug me because all my other booklets are in binders for easy use.

I have not had crumpling issues or binder issue so far. I have had them in these binders for almost a year. Here's my set up:

Easy Identification

Those look ideal for storage. I'm going to forget a file cabinet and head in that direction. Thank for posting them default_classic.gif

For the large, standard sized instructions, I use these type of things meant for magazine storage:

105249_0_4-5541-contemporary-magazine-racks.jpg

For anything smaller, they go in binders. The small things are the real pain because they come in all kinds of different sizes. I dislike using the binders, because stuff is always moving around in the plastic sheet and falling out the backside. I need a better solution for small instructions. I feel like some kind of bin to throw them in and forget about would be best. (Sometimes I wonder why I keep instructions at all...)

Edited by Zeya

I've had some instructions stored in poly page protectors for over a decade now, some of the time they've been stored vertically and the rest of the time horizontally and I've not seen any noticeable issues in the instructions themselves. Now the binder has been packed quite full so there has not really been any ROOM for the instructions to crumble into......

I have a number of instructions that just do not 'play well' with the binder pocket system and those get stored flat in one of the various boxes I have.

Lately I have acquired a a number of the following to hold some of the various printed material I have acquired:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/926905/Innovative-Storage-Designs-Hanging-Storage-Case/

They work pretty well for most bits of printed materials but there are still some things that just will not fit without damage (so those still get stored separately). These also work well to hold sticker sheets or cloth items like sails or teepee covers. I like the fact they have a latch, but you sometimes have to watch it as the latch doesn't have a real strong grip. They are cheaper at my local Office Depot than the online listed price and I'll admit I haven't done a lot of deep searching for the least expensive prices around.

These might be worth looking at for some folks.

Has anyone found a way to store large instruction manuals for sets like the UCS Millennium Falcon, Minifig Death Star, and UCS Super Star Destroyer.

I have found LEGO's Games boxes pretty good for storing instructions, But I'm always keen for new ideas.

Has anyone found a way to store large instruction manuals for sets like the UCS Millennium Falcon, Minifig Death Star, and UCS Super Star Destroyer.

I think I'd just sandwich those with cardboard to protect them, bag them and lay them flat in a cupboard somewhere.