Mirandir

8125 Thunder Raceway review

So this is the other one of the new 2009 sets I picked up yesterday.

Name – Thunder Raceway

Set Number – 8125

Year – 2009

Pieces – 165 (race track excluded)

Dreaded Sticker Sheets (DSS) – 2

Age Recommendation – 6-10 years

Price - 149.00 SEK Probably around 14.99 USD or less.

img_49453bbdcbf2c.jpg

The front of the "box". Not much to say about it. It really not a paperbox per se. The "paperbox" only covers four sides. And the whole thing is kept together with a thin plastic strip(or whatever it's called).

img_49453bcb15067.jpg

The back shows the main "gimmick" of the set: The fold-out race track. Notice that on this side it says "rennstrecke" which I understand is german and means "race track" .

img_49453e0fb5f27.jpg

So lets cut the plastic strip and pull out the track... Wait a minute... The foldable track is only two third of the box's size. And all the LEGO, including instructions and DSS are stuffed inside the track... So one third of the box is just plain air. I can't help but scratch my head wondering why... ?

img_49453ce997686.jpg

So lets take a quick look at the set's main attraction. The fold-out race track. With a few quick bends you can get track to lay flat on the table/floor. It's dark bley in color and has a couple of raised pinholes. The pinholes sticks up 2 plates over the surrounding surface.

img_49453e52af431.jpg

If you take a closer look on the shorter track that goes out on the sides you'll notice theese ridges. They're dimensioned to keep a 4x12 plate or similar in place. It won't hold it firmly. It'll just keep it from sliding on the track.

img_49453bd9a5b42.jpg

Besides the race track the set comes with two polybags of LEGO, one Instruction booklet and...

img_49453e31418a0.jpg

... no less than two DSS:s packed with stickers. Do I need to mention that this set relies heavily on stickers? There is not a single printed piece in it.

img_49453e406f858.jpg

The two cars that comes with the sets is of the "tiny turbos" type. However I find them to be a bit poor in their design. Most of the regular tiny-turbos look better. Atleast most of the recent years tinyturbos. The cars are also quite similar in look. It's only colors and details in the front and rear that differ. Some more variation of the cars would have been prefferable in my opinion.

img_49453ebcb3d6e.jpg

While talking about the cars I have to bring up the tires. They really do feel poor-quality. There is this dent that you'll have to be blind to not spot directly. It's like they've cut out a little part of the tire or the nozzle that apllies the material to the molds are sticking in to far into the mold.

There is also a kind of "valley" (couldn't come up with a better word for it) that runs all way around the tire. You can kind of see it in the photo above (it's on the same side as the dent). It is much more visible when you look at in reality. It's less visible when the tires are mouned onto the cars though.

img_49453e883c281.jpg

The track accessories are simplistic and quick builds. Most of you will most likely be able to build them whitout peeking in the instruction booklet. The flags uses this bar with a thick stopring that's been introduced this year.

img_49453edeee372.jpg

Now lets see how well the actual foldability of the set is. And, I'm sorry to say, I don't find it to work out as well as it could have. In order to fold it into a box. You'll have to disassemble it to some extents. A few of the flagpoles has to come of as well as that laps-display-tower-thingie. I would have prefered that you would just have been able to fold it as-is.

img_49453ef614441.jpg

When the track is folded up as a box it will stay that way. You have to use some force to pull it apart. Even the lid will stay on quite nicely. So there is no risk of the box breaking open by accident while on the shelf.

Conclusion:

So what do I think of this set? Well the fold-out track idea is kind of nice. But to be honest: I would have prefered more brickbuilt accesories instead. Like some spectator platforms and things like that. And the cars isn't really anything to get exited about either. So if you're not a die hard Racers fan you don't need to bother getting this set. You might just as well pick up two regular tiny turbo sets and build some accessory MOCs out of your collection of parts.

Edited by Mirandir

Got this one myself.

Yup, agree the racer's rely way too much on sticker for their details, not the most spectacular car designs they've had to date.

Though their canopy slopes are new, being 1 stud shorter than the similar existing triple slope, which may come in handy someday...

The dent and narrowing in the tires is not a new problem, as far as I've seen all of the past TT sets with this tire also have it; I usually just attach the tires so the dented moulding line is on the inside of the car body.

I'm dissapointed (but not much since I dont use em anyhow) that the checkered flags are stickers when a printed version already exists.

Kinda thinking, that the racetrack/box might be useful in building a cargo box or other large scale wall component, maybe in a large spaceship or boat? It is a nice large smooth panel... question is, do you have room to use it all? or do you resort to cutting each section separate...

Perhaps the best part of the set?

3963.png

The old Classic Space positioning rocket thrusters, finally available in a low-cost set.

Now you have a reason to buy 2.

P.S. anyone notice that the red box top is shaped like a racer? tempted to build that one now...

Edited by xenologer

Kinda thinking, that the racetrack/box might be useful in building a cargo box or other large scale wall component, maybe in a large spaceship or boat? It is a nice large smooth panel... question is, do you have room to use it all? or do you resort to cutting each section separate...

Just too bad there's a big fat LEGO-logo molded into it. unless you intend to turn the up-side out ofcourse.

Thanks for the review :thumbup:

I was planning on getting this set until now so thanks :thumbup: Although 09 racers have taken an alright turn from the last sets. I guess I'll think about it :sceptic:

Thanks for the review once again :thumbup:

Great review!

It´s always nice to see a pre-release set review, but...

What?!?

150 SEK for this? :oh3:

The police chase 2008 set had way more useful pieces than this one, and it did only cost 100 SEK. :angry:

Also, that big box-mold is totally useless!

I usually buy some of the Racers sets just for the pats, but I won´t buy this one.

2009 City sets has really improved and become better, but not Racers. :sceptic:

One good thing is that we get 2 1x2 tiles in trans.orange in one of the small sets(new color). Very useful for cr MOCers (like me :grin: ). I really hope that they are going to release 1x1 plates in trans.orange, too...

150 SEK for this? :oh3:

Yeah! And then there is also a ferrari version. Which is almost just two F1 cars and the fold-out track...

Thats why I would have preffered more brick built accessories as that would have given a lot more parts and play-value.

I might look into getting one of the fold-out sets. I mean, it folds out... it's halfway to being a Transformer. :laugh:

This is by no means my preferred of the fold-out sets, but still... thanks for the review. But by heck, the set looks bare without all the stickers on. :laugh: