• Above Average
    • Superb

indexed.gif

Title of Set: 6923 Particle Ionizer

Theme: Space/M-Trons

Year Released: 1990

Pieces Count: 187

Minifigures: 1 + 1 Brick Built Robot

Original Price: $24 (USD), Unknown (EUR), Unknown (GBP)

Current Prices: BrickLink Price Guide

Further Information: Brickset, Lugnet, Peeron, Photobucket Album

During the age of interplanetary travel, a need for the movement of packages containing supplies arose to the point that space travel itself came to a halt. One faction came to the rescue by modifying their spacecrafts to be used in such a way that supplies can be delivered to one side of the galaxy to the next within mere minutes - this faction was the M-Trons. Their lead ship, titled Particle Ionizer, was robust enough to make it through the roughest asteroid fields and light enough to slip through enemy detection nets unnoticed. Using its array of scanners, Particle Ionizer was able to pinpoint any unexpected hazards several parsecs away and thus, safely averting danger whenever possible.

Instructions:

cover.jpg

back.jpg

The instructions come in the form of a small booklet that is about half the height of the larger booklets. The cover portraits the set with a backdrop of the normal M-Tron grid sky and a total of 16 pages with 19 steps, not including the sub-steps, are found on the following pages within. Each step is easy to follow and clear on what pieces are to be used.

Minifigs:

M-Tron:

minifig.jpg

One M-Tron minifig with no variation from the other M-Tron sets.

Robot Front:

frontrob.jpg

Robot Side:

robside.jpg

Robot Back:

robbackb.jpg

Robot Folded:

robfolded.jpg

The robot is brick built and is the ever so handy helper. As shown, the robot is able to fold up to fit into his compartment, which is later discussed in this review.

Accessories:

accessb.jpg

A select few accessories are included with this set. Two that may need identification are the "flashlight" (second to the right) and "detector" (middle).

Printed Pieces:

printed.jpg

A decent amount of printed M-Tron pieces.

Translucent Pieces:

yellows.jpg

A large selection of cones and antennas are bundled with this set. The windscreen is sleek and looks great.

Unique Piece:

studdedpiece.jpg

This piece in red is only found in this set and serves a vital role in the completion of the build.

Container:

Top:

containertop.jpg

Front:

frontcont.jpg

Side:

leftcont.jpg

Back:

baxkcont.jpg

A lot of goodies attached to this container. There's the hammer, a flashlight, an antenna, and a tool that I am unsure of but it looks to be a handheld detector of some sort. The container holds a spare jet booster. Both sides are the same.

Completed without Minifigures:

Top-down View:

topb.jpg

This set is not overly large but still has a formidable size for its piece count.

Adjacent View:

adjfrontb.jpg

A good view of the propeller system. TLC took modern technology (helicopter propeller system) and infused it with a futuristic concept (the spacecraft itself) to create this delightful treat. The blades are connected to a five stud 1x1 brick and the brick sits on top of a spindle, allowing free-flow movement.

Front Closed:

frontclosedb.jpg

Front Open:

frontopenb.jpg

The windscreen can open 90 degrees. Once shut, it is flush with the nose of the craft. There is also a gun connected to a hinge on the front of the craft, whether it is for combat or research is unknown.

Side:

sideb.jpg

Both sides are the same other than the fact that one side has a radio and the other side has a wrench.

Back Unloaded:

backunloadedb3.jpg

Back without container and the wings pointing up. There are two black jet pieces on the lower bottom.

Back Loaded:

backloaded.jpg

As before but with the container loaded into the storage area and wings to the sides. The crane is quite impressive. It is able to hoist the supplied container in a large radius, as well as up in the air.

Bottom:

bottomf.jpg

Four black round 2x2 plates provide extra support with joining pieces, a flat base, and an in-the-air look when the set is sitting stationary. There are two black propulsion systems connected towards the back of the bottom.

Closeups:

Crane:

cranehinge.jpg

The crane makes use of two hinge joints. The lower hinge connects to two red headlight pieces, which are connected to a 2x2 turntable.

Propellers:

helihinge.jpg

The propeller system can move up and down.

Cockpit Empty:

cockpit.jpg

Cockpit Occupied:

figincockpit.jpg

Plenty of room for the minifig and his air tank. The cockpit has a printed control panel and a 1x1 clip plate that moves up and down.

Robot Storage Area Empty:

compempty.jpg

A peek into the robot's storage area when empty.

Robot Storage Area Occupied:

robotin-1.jpg

Here the robot is in storage. He does not attach to anything directly, but with the side panels closed, he won't be going anywhere. He does tend to slide around a small amount, though.

Crane In Action/Completed with Minifigures:

minicom.jpg

minicomb.jpg

cranerobot.jpg

Doing what M-Trons do best - loading up containers and usually ending up with trouble.

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread:

endminiclear.jpg

Ah, nothing like relaxing after a long day's work, even if all the work was done by a robot.

Reviewer's Score:

Playability: 10/10 - The crane and robot really add a lot to this set. Spacecrafts are always fun to swoosh around, too.

Design: 10/10 - Every piece has a place and each place is well thought out.

Price: 8.6/10 - Piece count is lacking and only one actual minifig. Some nice pieces but they don't fully make up for the low piece count.

Total: 28.6/30 - Another M-Tron classic that obviously had a lot of thought put into its design.

I always absolutely loved this set. While I don't own it anymore, this great review is going to have me on Bricklink all day looking for a good deal. Excellent set and an excellent review!

I love retro reviews. This is a good set, but honestly I was never a big M-Tron fan. I doubt I'd ever get this one, given the boring minifig and huge abundance of moving parts.

Still a good set, and excellent review there. I'm going to review the Deep Freeze Defender as soon as it comes in the mail. :)

This is one of my favorite space sets among any theme. The concept of a space-themed helicopter is quite unique, and it looks sleek and is loaded with tools and equipment. I modified the cargo bay on mine slightly to make the robot fit in more snugly, without jiggling around.

Very good review too. I like the last few pictures. :grin:

My set (MISB copy off ebay) actually came with a large MTron poster showing a cave scene from the catalogs, although I don't know if they all included that.