Max_Lego

[WIP] - my first attempt to build a redcoat ship

I liked redcoats since watching the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. In addition to our 31109 Creator Pirate ship, I wanted to build a decent redcoat ship. After building 14 cannons, I chose the 1775 HMS Kingfisher as the basis for my future MOC, willing to recreate it as accurately as possible. Sadly, I didn't (and still don't) have enough parts to build a decent model of this ship - I need a lot of tan slopes for that. Acquiring the Star Wars 75365 Yavin fortress would've partially solved the problem, but I'm yet to collect enough money...

Anyway, madness struck me, and I decided to build something slightly resembling a British ship instead, until I'll have enough tan slopes. And I built THIS. The fat bastard, the big disgrace. Yes, its rear is nice, and the front is not bad, but the rest is horrible, especially the hull - straight, square and crude, since i didn't have enough curved parts. I tried my best to turn it into something acceptable, but all I got was a silly toy. Here it is:

Lego MOC - my first attempt to build a redcoat shipLego MOC - my first attempt to build a redcoat shipLego MOC - my first attempt to build a redcoat shipLego MOC - my first attempt to build a redcoat shipLego MOC - my first attempt to build a redcoat shipLego MOC - my first attempt to build a redcoat ship

As you can see, the build lacks sails and rigging, but I'll solve this problem soon.

I understand nothing in XVIII century sail ships, and, as I said, my original plan was to recreate the 1775 HMS Kingfisher very faithfully using paintings and technical drawings. I can't do this right now, but I promise to do it as soon as I have enough parts needed. I don't have enough tan slopes and curves to make the hull. Is there any way I could improve my ugly build? I am open for suggestions, if you have any.

Added brick-bulit sails. Now the ship looks slightly better, IMHO.

Lego MOC - redcoat ship with brick-bulit sails

Not a bad first attempt at a ship! I know I have built worse ships. What I would definitely recommend is checking out is building digitally on stud.io. it really helped me. This shows a lot of promise though!

22 minutes ago, berninhr said:

Not a bad first attempt at a ship! I know I have built worse ships. What I would definitely recommend is checking out is building digitally on stud.io. it really helped me. This shows a lot of promise though!

Thanks for the kind words! Now I know what digital building is for. You build your MOC digitally first, you order parts on BrickLink second! I must try this