Sign in to follow this  
dirkberlin

Is there a error in 6986 instruction (Space Police Mission Commander)

I noticed a gap under the windscreen in my building. I checked it with a earlier digital build and the instruction: Yes a gap. Because of the position of the to black 1x2 plates on the blue wedge cutout plates, sample:

Spoiler

63747_pic%2016.jpg

instruction step 13:

https://letsbuilditagain.com/instructions/6986/

When lookig at the product picture you will see no cap and 3 free knobs on right and maybe on left side:

Spoiler

6986-1.jpg

Because I am a little late with this ship, is there any known error in picture or instruction. or some newer revision of the manual (have none, used brickinstruction)

The position of the plate on the photo looks much better then the instructions gap, so in this case I would avoid the plate gap if I built this.

Posted (edited)

Your black 1x2 plates seem to be one stud too far to the front, causing a gap behind them. So yeah, it seems to be a fault in the instructions, the way it looks on the photograph is much better and I personally feel like that's the intended way to build it.

If you wanna get rid of the tiny gap that forms at the front when doing it according to the photograph, I suppose the only way to fix this keeping the old model style is to replace these plates with 1x3 ones.
If you're not afraid to apply newer building components, some wedges can be used that follow the canopy shape.

Ngl, I'd be tempted towards doing this... :blush:

Spoiler

zz1.jpg

zz2.jpg

Edited by JesseNight

I had to check mine. It has been assembled for like forever and is the centerpiece of my Space display and I see it all the time. It was built according to the instructions so the gap was there. Now I've changed it to be like the picture. I also checked the 1989 catalog and there it is also like the instructions photo without a gap. I can't understand how I haven't seen this before because I frequently work on my Space display and look at old catalogs a lot although never at the same time.

Posted (edited)

Thanks. But a strong modification is no option. I am a lame guy, who is buildung exacly like the instruction.  That's the point, where this mess begun. I wondered  the gap, shortly after building it, when laying on the couch with this ship in front of me on the couch table. I changed it to the photo of the manual, by shifting the 1x2 plates. It's the way, in which I remember this ship most time of my life. I could not believe, that I am the first one, to see this. So I thought I notify an old well known problem of a faulty manual version, which is conserved by the scans of it.

Edited by dirkberlin

Oh that's not lame at all, it's a matter of personal preference.
The photo makes way more sense to me, I can't imagine a gap possibly having been intended.
I'm sure you're not the first, it's just an old model from pre internet days. And ngl I hope to still add it to my collection some time, it's one of those sets I looked up to but just never had as a kid :wink:

Yeah, I've got very lucky, cause I find this stuff in the basement of a good friend, who had no interesst in lego anymore. Was a surprice, typical boxes of mixed lego, no clue that there was a big spaceship inside. But this ship is very technical and full of air, when I had to choose, I think the Space Police 2 Galactic Mediator is the better  construction for money. But both are lots of money. Tried once to build all the old space stuff on studio, cause most stuff never getting in real.

Yeah true there's a lot of air inside, thanks to the rack winder needing all that space.
If I ever get my hands on one, I want to try my hands on modifying it. I think it's a beautiful ship, just with a lot of potential for improvement. Like getting rid of the rack winder mechanic and perhaps replacing it with a smaller Technic construction, and creating space for extra crew. Maybe making the underside of the nose a bit nicer too. Preferably while keeping the outside look mostly as it is.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Galactic Mediator, they did a lot of things in newer versions that I just feel was better in older ones.
Like the old modules are connected with pins, sometimes with some plates and tiles sticking out to make a proper and straight connection. But it was just click, and done. The newer ones have hinged parts that close on studs, and in my experience wanting to disconnect it often leads to the wrong connections coming loose.
Another thing I really love about the old one is the rover hidden under the cockpit. While the double canopy on the new looks great, it's not practical bc the bottom one can only open after the top one opens first.
I'm finding it odd how the modules are just tunnels with the front and rear fully exposed when disconnected.
Anyway that's just my 2 cents about it, it does look good on the outside for sure!