Sign in to follow this  

This is the Medieval High Street, mostly it is a labor of love. This MOC combines portions of three of my previous MOCs (Medieval Butcher, Medieval Library, Medieval Miller, all designed back in 2021 and submitted to Ideas) and several small builds (vineyard, tree, barrel) to create the "High Street" of a medieval town. I started working on this in 2022 but left it behind. The recent announcement of the Medieval Town Square spurred me to try my own hand at a similar scene. The nice home on the left is a nobleman's house, the house on the right (red with tan thatch) is a trader's store and house. The tower in the center is the town watch. Many of the elements included do not exist in these colors (it uses the "Main" palette in Bricklink Studio). At some point in the future (some version) of this might appear on Lego Ideas or in the Bricklink Designer Program. More renders are on Flickr and I'll probably keep posting updates to IG. 

Contains 3600 parts, no interiors yet.

What do you think? What should I change, add or remove?

If this ever appears in a program like the Bricklink Designer Program, I'd love to have some input from the EB community to make it better. 

53534749463_cc48558d52_b.jpgMedieval High Street by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534884699_04bdda5e4f_b.jpgMedieval High Street by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534989630_2de686f49e_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Nobleman's House by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534746673_68922bf20b_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Nobleman's House Detail by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534746498_4dfcd584ba_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Trader's House Detail by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534567746_e159c895f6_b.jpgMedieval High Street - the hunter and his sidekick by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534567766_354897c7df_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Trader's House by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53533681482_27f9110d3c_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Woman in a Vinyard by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534746253_08fb4d9965_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Friar and Woman by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534989150_390fe12a2b_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Rear by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

53534746278_961bb3d211_b.jpgMedieval High Street - Town Watch by Arselus Bricks, on Flickr

Great moc! :pir-thumb: I especially like all those gothic details you have on the tower. I also like the techniques you used on the roof of the trader's house. And the variety of minifigures and animals add more life to the build. Don't take this as a criticism, it's just a matter of taste, but the color scheme of the nobleman's house doesn't convince me. Somehow I feel that the contrast between black and white is too strong.

6 hours ago, Ben S said:

Great moc! :pir-thumb: I especially like all those gothic details you have on the tower. I also like the techniques you used on the roof of the trader's house. And the variety of minifigures and animals add more life to the build. Don't take this as a criticism, it's just a matter of taste, but the color scheme of the nobleman's house doesn't convince me. Somehow I feel that the contrast between black and white is too strong.

Thank you! That’s exactly the type of feedback I’m hoping for. I have some more ideas on improvements, but I’d love to keep hearing feedback. 

On 2/17/2024 at 10:06 AM, arselus said:

If this ever appears in a program like the Bricklink Designer Program, I'd love to have some input from the EB community to make it better.  

At 3600 parts with no interiors yet, this doesn't stand a chance on BDP: you'd be competing with stuff like the mountain fortress or the ship Minerva for the $400 price point.

I would cut out the tower and the house on the left, the red and black trader's house with a thatched roof is amazing.  The tower is a good build, but there's a lot of towers out there already, and most fans have no shortage of castles.  The other house is nice, but the blue shutters and red roof don't really work IMHO.  Green shutters would at least be complimentary with the red roof, but that may just be my personal preference.  Overall, I prefer the half timber style like the red house uses.  The tree and vineyard mini builds are excellent, I would play with those and scale them up a tiny bit.

But don't be surprised if this doesn't make it in the BDP given that the new village is out and this would directly compete with that, and without the draw of new/exclusive minifigures.  Good luck and I hope you're able to make this a real set.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:18 AM, iragm said:

At 3600 parts with no interiors yet, this doesn't stand a chance on BDP

I would cut out the tower and the house on the left, the red and black trader's house with a thatched roof is amazing.  

The tree and vineyard mini builds are excellent, I would play with those and scale them up a tiny bit.

Thank you! Great advice, this is really helpful for planning, as giving it a critical look and comparing to existing offerings is really difficult for the person designing (too much heart involved)!

I’ll keep iterating!