I don't know what anyone else calls them, but I call them jigs. Brick sequences in Stud.io that allow precision placement of legal techniques not recognized by BLS. I was hoping someone had a simpler solution for this inelegant mess that I use to place bricks upside down 

Picsart_24-01-29_12-10-38-137.png

Man. I don't know how you guys cope with such stringent image size restrictions. I'm having a heck of a time just showing you a couple of pictures. I thought because it wouldn't let me unselect the wrong image, I'd just post it, then post the smaller more relevant image, but now I have an even tighter restriction than previously, so you'll just have to imagine the other picture where this jig has actually placed a brick in the desired orientation. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I can already see four bricks I could have done without. (Two bricks and two plates are superfluous in this design.) I'm going to fix it when I get home from work.

Let's try this...LionKnightsCastleClosedCombined_3.png?ex

Ooh, that worked. I'll just embed images from my discord...

I used flamingo pink because this set doesn't use that color and that allows me to easily move my jig around by using the color select tool.

Another two bricks can be removed if I don't have to account for the empty space the jig would otherwise be attached to... hmm.

That works, but it may be more complicated than or not as versatile as it needs to be in some cases.
I most often use bar and clip connections when placing parts in odd positions since the bar/clip connection allows for small-increment adjustments and free rotation for off-angle (or upside down) connections.  Since it is just a temporary jig, the bars can be slid through each other with interference that can be ignored.

Edit: EuroBricks is not an image-hosting site, so it is best to upload images to an image-hosting site (I use Flickr) and share from there through different methods (I copy BBCode).  There are tutorials on EuroBricks for this, and I can explain further if necessary.

Edited by Slegengr

Oh people, Studio is not LDD!

Use the arrows to turn the brick upside-down and then the WASD keys (they obey to the Grid) and/or the Translation tool to place it.  Here’s a 13s screencast that shows how to do your build.

Gee, what’s the use of writing help pages!

———
And there’s way more than 4 or 6 parts too many here!  2 headlight bricks are enough:
minimal_scaffold_eurobricks.png

Thank you. That is the elegance I was looking for, also, I used LDD for years and have only been using Stud.io for about a week or so, so I'm still kicking the tires and working out the kinks. I have messed with the move tool a little, but had thought it was more for eliminating collisions.

So much better than my Frankenstein nonsense. Not that it's really necessary anymore, but I think I will modify builds that use this 1 x 1 x 1 panel to hold upside down bricks. I can't remember if a technic brick making room for a stud is legal, but collision detection is on in that render. 🤷🏼‍♂️918SpaceTransport_5.png?ex=65caea21&is=6

(Wasn’t griping at you: you’re a newbie, it’s normal not to know.  Experienced users should know though :tongue:)

Stud in Technic hole is mostly illegal.  For the BrickLink Designer Program (webinar video), you can only put one stud in one Technic hole, and nothing else attached to it.
Here, another problem is that, IRL, the Technic hole is 0.12mm higher than the side stud.  So, not only is the Technic hole too small for a stud, but it’s not aligned.

For that build, you’d need to use a 1x1 panel instead.  Or another headlight brick… but then it creates a hole on the right and (contrarily to what the LDraw/Studio model shows) the side stud goes farther than the next brick, so you need a hole next to that one too: a panel or a Technic hole (this time, it’s just a small bump, so the parts are not connected and therefore not stressed).