Sign in to follow this  
rinatfruggi

[MOC] I - Beam Trophy Truck V2 "Short Boi"

Hi all! I want to share with you my new project. This trophy truck is an evolution of my previous truck, which was discussed in the previous topic.

I take some inspiration for the look from the Ford Bronco and Chevy K5, but this is not a detailed MOC.
The main feature is the front I-beam suspension. The rear suspension is a 4-link live axle + anti-roll bar.
For propulsion I use 2 buggy motors, PF servo for steering and MK6 module as power source.

INSTRUCTIONS OF THE FRONT AXLE
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-167559/RKH_BRICKCUSTOMS/i-beam-front-suspension/#details

INSTRUCTIONS OF THE UPDATED CHASSIS
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-170784/RKH_BRICKCUSTOMS/trophy-truck-with-i-beam-suspension/#details

Here is some pics for you 

53426738815_8f6109417e_c_d.jpg53426738820_c3a3c19330_c_d.jpg

53426638624_7f41345373_c_d.jpg53426738155_909b6d8e78_c_d.jpg

53426473088_db5fa20307_b_d.jpg

Some action video

Review of this trohy truck

Thank you for reading! I look forward to your feedback and thoughts about this type of suspension!

Edited by rinatfruggi
added instructions of the chassis

I bet it turns right much better than it turns left, the problem of one wheel being further forward than the other, is not an easy problem to fix. I like what you have done so far but think it could use a little work.

On a side note, having owned a few old Ford pickups, that used twin I beam suspension on the front, I never really noticed the benefits of such a setup and it could actually be fairly dangerous to drive, when the rest of the front end components become worn.

Edited by Johnny1360

On 12/30/2023 at 4:52 PM, Johnny1360 said:

I bet it turns right much better than it turns left, the problem of one wheel being further forward than the other, is not an easy problem to fix. I like what you have done so far but think it could use a little work.

On a side note, having owned a few old Ford pickups, that used twin I beam suspension on the front, I never really noticed the benefits of such a setup and it could actually be fairly dangerous to drive, when the rest of the front end components become worn.

Yes, I agree with your first statement. In lego world its not so critical i guess. I dont notice any trouble with this while testing, but i will try to fix this in the future)

And yes, I agree with your second point about the real car. I-beams for on rouad use  are not the best choice. But when the beams used on dirt  (as real trophy trucks do), these disadvantages are not so significant.

I love the simplicity of this type of suspension and the amount of travel it can provide. I just want to show that this type of suspesion can be used in LEGO and i thik it works quite well)

Thanks a lot for your answer!))

Posted (edited)

isnt it just weirder tatra suspension? cool build nonetheless.

it seems to perform well in the jumps which was a bit of a surprise to me

Edited by Aurorasaurus

4 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

I guess that's one way of describing it! Moving the suspension pivots to the opposite side of the body does make for significantly less camber change than tatra, at the cost of more mechanical complexity for driven axles (unlike this one).

It does work well in those jumps! Glad to see you having fun with this weird suspension. If I ever get motivated to build some fast RWD buggy/trophy truck again, it could be a lot of fun to use this type of suspension

8 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

No. Tatra has diffent idea and pricciples of work.
Performing a good jumps was main idea of this build)

4 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I guess that's one way of describing it! Moving the suspension pivots to the opposite side of the body does make for significantly less camber change than tatra, at the cost of more mechanical complexity for driven axles (unlike this one).

It does work well in those jumps! Glad to see you having fun with this weird suspension. If I ever get motivated to build some fast RWD buggy/trophy truck again, it could be a lot of fun to use this type of suspension

Thanks) There will be post about updated driven version of this suspension)

8 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

Thank you)

Posted (edited)

idk. for me the design of this suspension in real life cars is amazing. in lego its works good and its durable)if you have any advice on how to do this better I would really appreciate it!!

Edited by rinatfruggi

5 hours ago, rinatfruggi said:

idk. for me the design of this suspension in real life cars is amazing. in lego its works good and its durable)if you have any advice on how to do this better I would really appreciate it!!

Oh, by raunchy I meant fun and out-of-the-box in a good way. It looks like it works pretty well. I'd be interested in seeing if you can put cv axles through it 

oh, thanks) my English is not so good yet:laugh: 
Yes! i have driven version! 
53451561834_755e9a4821_w_d.jpg53158313471_d4d80aa1e9_w_d.jpg 

A little later I will rebuild all the chassis with this setup and create another topic)