Craig Strader

Question on 3d printing train parts

What kind of resins are utilized to fabricate custom parts, tough resin? I am looking to produce some parts for a project of mine and I want them to be as durable as BrickTrainDepot's wheels to where they will not chip and/or break apart.

Edited by Craig Strader
Description

I would always start with FDM to get the part right. PLA is the easier material to start out with. LEGO is ABS so after that you might switch to ASA (ABS 2.0) but that is much harder printing, you really should use a heated enclosure for that. A good way to start 3D printing is finding some FabLab / Makerspace. I print quite a lot (for my PhD research, not so much for the LEGO hobby). I did some drive rods on my Ender 3 using PLA that worked quite well, although I would prefer PETG or ASA for durability (PLA will become very brittle over time under UV influence).

Depends on your application of the part.  If it is decorations, you could get away with regular resins.  Gears and drive trains, you could use something stronger.  There are ABS-like tough resins available.  They are kind of pricey.