Sign in to follow this  
idlemarvel

[MOC] Carlson Wagons-Lits Dining Car (6w)

There's much excitement about the forthcoming Orient Express set (only a few days now!) so I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and design a 6-wide dining car.  It's 30 studs long with a City theme vibe.  This is the inspiration prototype:

640px-Wagons-Lits_dining_car_in_Austria_

(from Wikipedia)

I designed it in Lego Digital Designer.  I was keen to capture the black structural girder supporting the sides, recessed doors and striping.  I wanted to keep to readily available bricks so used yellow rather than gold striping.  Because of the internal construction the lower part of the car is only 4 wide but I have tried to create some interior.  Anyway pictures tell a thousand words...

53353657347_29f3c24d71_b.jpg

53354857389_cf58048232_b.jpg

53354754758_8a2eac80a7_b.jpg

I had about half the necessary parts and have ordered the rest on Lego pick-a-brick and a few on Bricklink, so I hope to be able to build it in a few weeks.

looks nice. one thing you could improve is the rear parts, make the roof 6 wide but keep the section under it 5 wide or make that slightly wider. like 5 wide and one plate or something.

16 hours ago, XG BC said:

looks nice. one thing you could improve is the rear parts, make the roof 6 wide but keep the section under it 5 wide or make that slightly wider. like 5 wide and one plate or something.

Thanks. I'll take a look when I get the bricks to build it IRL.

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Nice wagon, I lile the livery! :wub:

Thanks. I can't take credit for the livery though! :-)

Just to prove I do occasionally build something rather than just design things, here is the completed CWIL buffet car.

53395374585_c6e86b9a9f_z.jpg

I had to change the design of the steps as they proved to be "unbuildable" using these parts (#4865 Panel 1 x 2 x 1) ...

4865.png

so instead I just used a 2 x 2 tile on the top of the bogies which works fine.  I think it turned out quite well.