Dennis Bosman

Truck models (scale 1-17 and 1-13)

A few months ago I made a lot of pictures of not yet published models but I didn't took time to sort everything. I got quite a backlog and I was asked to show something new. Well, here I got one.

It's a Liebherr R964C excavator and yes, it's based on the 9800 set. When it was released about five years ago I immediately thought of building a "smaller" one to put onto one of my scale 1:17 low loader combos. Till then I actually didn't had a suitable load. I temporary had a Volvo excavator set loaded but it's a standard set and the looks weren't that good either (sets always can be improved). With scaling it down I came to the 964 which weights about 75 tons in real, heavy enough for a 3-bed-5 low loader combo.

53617037916_fb7202be06_c.jpg

As I'm always building modular that also had to be the case with this excavator. Both the hubs are put in the upper structure and when removing the batteries the body work has to be removed in the first place. The entire bodywork can be disconnected in six components.

53617483935_ae58786486_c.jpg

All hoses on the arm are just like the real thing. I studied a few machines to see where everything goes and what its serves for. That really took some time but it definitely gives the model the right looks. With all detailing it became a lot more heavier than I was meant to but with using many light weight panels I decreased the weight a little bit.

53617371209_64dcdda648_c.jpg

With this model I tried to simulate how it's loaded onto the trailer. I built the Liebherr to be carried onto my existing Nooteboom 5-axle low loader but I also made a tri-axle Interdolly. Total length is 175 cm.

53617036666_ac441ea349_c.jpg

A lot more details and pictures I put in my Flickr stream: 

Album of the Liebherr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/legotrucks/albums/72177720315738120/

Album of the truck + trailer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/legotrucks/albums/72177720312628116

On 3/28/2024 at 9:05 PM, Dennis Bosman said:

It's a Liebherr R964C excavator

It seems that this model has once again raised the bar another notch. The details are incredible. Crisp photos and the setup certainly help too.
Aside from this, I still adore your A904B from the older era, with its nostalgic look and feel.

While I very much do appreciate models being in the same scale for easy comparison and the ability to see how big one model is relative to others, I've always fancied the idea of having two or even more different scales, each with its own merits.
Notably, the smaller scale has benefits that allow for the modeling of physically larger machines, especially those that are very long or tall. This is particularly applicable for the 1:17, 1:20 or even 1:25 scale.

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 12:28 PM, Paul B Technic said:

Wow, this is amazing, such a high level of detail.

Thanks!

@Milan

The A904B really was from another era. It was the first excavator I built myself and it had to be a wheeled version since there weren't sprockets large enough (however ...).

The R964 is on 1:17 scale but I still prefer building on 1:13. The level of detail there is much higher however building heavy equipment on 1:17 scale does have certain benefits (easier to build really heavy equipment). Next one will be a massive CAT dozer. Don't know which one yet, but it'll also fit on this combo.

Edited by Dennis Bosman