Dr_Chronos

Exporting Stud.io Part Spreadsheet with Images

Hi,

Lately I have been creating some large mocs in Stud.io, so large that managing the parts list becomes a pain. Somehow I would like to be able to export the parts list spreadsheet with the images of the parts in the correct color. Something like the instructions bill of materials page, but as an actual spreadsheet so I can search and edit. If there's another software that I should check out that can do this, I would love to know. The fastest workaround I've been able to do is manually pasting images from the bill of materials page into the spreadsheet, and that can take up to 3 hours.

Another wrinkle is that these builds use custom parts I created. I can always add them to the spreadsheet after if that's the only way to make it work but it would be awesome if I can do it straight from Stud.io. 

Edited by Dr_Chronos

Might be a little round-about, but this is the first thing that came to my mind:

1. Export a CSV parts list from Studio

2. Since that contains the element ID, color, etc., it should be trivial to use those values in a spreadsheet to construct the URL for the image of the part in the correct color on a site like Bricklink.
e.g. The standard URL format for the part image is: 

https://img.bricklink.com/ItemImage/PN/[COLOR_CODE]/[PART_NUMBER].png

3. Once you have the URL created, there are a number of tools and plugins that will pull the image directly into a cell in the spreadsheet, like this one: 
https://www.extendoffice.com/product/kutools-for-excel/excel-insert-display-image-from-url-path.html

That wouldn't work for your custom parts, but would be quick to get the standard parts into the format you're talking about.

1 hour ago, deraven said:

2. Since that contains the element ID, color, etc., it should be trivial to use those values in a spreadsheet to construct the URL for the image of the part in the correct color on a site like Bricklink.

Thank you for the idea, this solution works for standard parts that are colored in their available colors. Unfortunately it does not work if the part is colored in something not available. Still, this is helpful in doing part of the work.

If you have the CSV parts list from Stud.io (or Bricklink XML via Bricklink wanted list) you can create a parts list on Rebrickable from it. This parts list can be exported to a HTML table or HTML Grid with correct images. I haven't tried but the HTML should be saved as an HTML page and import in Excel or even copied from the clipboard to Excel. Custom parts are custom parts or parts not available so need to be handled seperately as neither Bricklink or Rebrickable will recognize them. Could be that Rebrickable will show the correct part color even if not available. Sound like you are making a MOC to sell to a Brick cloning company that has all colors, otherwise it would make no sense to have parts in a parts list if not available. If my advise is of use to you, remember me when you make your first million please.

4 hours ago, Berthil said:

If you have the CSV parts list from Stud.io (or Bricklink XML via Bricklink wanted list) you can create a parts list on Rebrickable from it. This parts list can be exported to a HTML table or HTML Grid with correct images. I haven't tried but the HTML should be saved as an HTML page and import in Excel or even copied from the clipboard to Excel. Custom parts are custom parts or parts not available so need to be handled seperately as neither Bricklink or Rebrickable will recognize them. Could be that Rebrickable will show the correct part color even if not available

This partly works, it seems rebrickable can make some of the images with parts in non-available colors but can't for others. For instance, it can make a picture for a 1 x 2 mixel socket in black but not bright-light-blue. 

4 hours ago, Berthil said:

Sound like you are making a MOC to sell to a Brick cloning company that has all colors, otherwise it would make no sense to have parts in a parts list if not available. If my advise is of use to you, remember me when you make your first million please.

Haha I certainly will!
Really though I am a big non-purist so I like to use parts from clone brands, and they have many parts that either do not exist in lego or are in non-available colors. This would be helpful for me because there's not a lot I can do with the usual online tools for part management/wanted lists. So this would help me when I'm on the lookout for specific parts when I browse, making orders on services like webrick, and also lets me start creating a better catalog of what I own.

I thought that it might have been possible to do all this from stud.io because the model info screen generates thumbnails of all parts (that you can't interact with) regardless of whether they are custom or in unavailable colors. 

image.png.57e41c78576061e6ef3e13ede053a3dc.png