Sign in to follow this  
Jamin Star

Wild West Bank Robbery

Hello, here is my latest stop motion video of a Bank robbery in the Wild West. The bandits have robbed then bank and stolen a western version of R.E.X. and Ronin needs some help getting it back.

On 9/28/2023 at 7:04 PM, vijv said:

So cool to see. I wish I could do that too. You've got another like from me.

Thank you very much.

You've got some good stuff in there, for sure - crucially, it's a solid plot which is plainly shown.

On a technical note, what software are you using for post-production? If you're on Premiere Pro or something similar, I'd recommend setting up the sequence settings to match the size of the frames you're getting (or a similar measurement with a more cinematic aspect ratio, if that's your thing). Having such large black borders around all four sides is something which will turn a lot of people away before they even give your work a fair chance, and it's a fairly simple fix (you can also achieve the same after you've created and populated the sequence by amending the zoom settings of a frame so as to fill the screen, then pasting the formatting to the rest of the frames). This is the only "immediate turn-off" as it were which you have in your piece, so you're ninety percent of the way to breaking the big guns.

I'd also personally recommend getting close-up/medium angles of key characters for every scene. Even if there's no conventional dialogue, these sorts of cutaway shots are a really useful trick for disguising moments where the camera jerks (I notice one point where you realise the supports for the set are visible and adjust the shot to remove them) and also for 'tricking the motion' - by which I mean, having a character get from location A to location B without loads of time spent on them walking all the way.

But please, don't take any of this as a negative! I really enjoyed your stuff, and I'd be lying if I tried to act like I hadn't done far far worse in my time!