VBBN

Bionicle 2009 Images and Discussion

Now is it just me or does the name "Skorpio" just make you want to bang your head against a wall? D:

Anyways, the summer sets are looking awesome... I don't really like Strontius from what I've seen, but whatever. Mata Nui looks sweet =D

And so does the Spikit. But I hate the name. Almost as much as Skorpio.

Next year we need a set called "Akwarius" or something -.-

~Cap'n

Well, I for one can't wait for toyfair, even if the pics are crappy, and the masks are made of painted styrofoam. I get about 0 time on here, between exams, and fact that I'm trying to buy a NES, anywhere but ebay (I'm too damn lazy to attempt to bid against anyone :) ) It really does amaze me that we have all these great pics of the sets, an then they look so makeshift at the toyfair:

Bionicle_Toa_Mistika_14_Gali.jpg

As bad as it looks, the prototype of the final mold does have a sick sort of appeal, so I'll be interested in seeing Mata Nui

~iLego94

Oooh, looks like the Baranus rider is an Agori after all. =D Much better.

-Ikk

The only rider that is not an Agori is that red dude on Thornatus...even Skopio´s rider is an Agori, he has Agori torso, Agori feet but a bit longer hands...

Well, smaller characters = bigger vehicles, which is fine by me. Plus, I think LEGO is smart enough to not try to repeat winter sets in summer again.

~iLego94

I thought this was too funny

And here's another point -- some of this argument assumes that had Matoro not sacrificed himself, the universe of The Kingdom would have been the result. But that is only ONE possible outcome of many. Let's take a look at some of the others (and apologies to Marvel for borrowing their numbering system for this example):

MU 616 (the one we know) -- Matoro sacrifices himself, saves Mata Nui, Teridax later takes over the body of the Mata Nui robot.

MU 718 (The Kingdom) -- Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies, inhabitants of MU other than Makuta migrate to surface and build a new life for themselves.

MU 919 -- Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies. Despite best efforts by Turaga, widespread panic ensues. Rioting erupts all over the universe, resulting in thousands of deaths. Seven Turaga and a small number of Matoran make it to island of Mata Nui, rest perish.

MU 1067 - Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies. Makuta, foiled in his plans, escapes Mata Nui's body into the shell of an Exo-Toa. Using the knowledge he gained from his brief time in the Great Spirit's body, he uses the antidermis pool to create 500 more Makuta and unleashes them on the MU, slaughtering all who oppose them. The Makuta later migrate to surface with a horde of enslaved Matoran.

MU 2100 - Matoro does sacrifice himself, but damage to Ignika causes its power to burst through the shields of Karda Nui and fill the universe. Mata Nui lives, but every inanimate object in the universe also comes to life, resulting in chaos, overpopulation, and widespread famine. Mata Nui later dies as a result.

MU 3657 -- Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies. Convinced Mata Nui's death is a trick, Shadowed One leads DH in a massacre of Matoran attempting to escape the universe.

MU 4987 - Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies. Tren Krom uses his power to keep a small portion of the universe running. Limited livable space results in war for survival breaking out among inhabitants of the MU.

MU 5555 - Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies. Wolverine becomes King of the Vampires and turns Galactus into one of the undead, and ... (whoops, how'd that get in there?)

MU 7809 - Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies, inhabitants of MU other than Makuta migrate to surface and build a new life for themselves. Collapse of island of Mata Nui occurs far earlier than planned, resulting in numerous deaths. "Islands" of new land created float away from each other, spreading out over the planet. New, isolated cultures develop on the few land masses where populations survive.

MU 9910 -- Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies, inhabitants of MU other than Makuta migrate to surface and build a new life for themselves. Great Beings discover what has occurred and activate self-destruct in Mata Nui robot to prevent further environmental contamination. Former inhabitants of MU all killed in the resulting explosion.

See? And that's not anywhere near all the possible results of Matoro deciding not to sacrifice himself ... most of which are no bed of roses.

Greg

I think it is interesting he never went for the most obvious alternate universe, where Jaller or somebody sacrifice themselves instead.

MU 9910 -- Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies, inhabitants of MU other than Makuta migrate to surface and build a new life for themselves. Great Beings discover what has occurred and activate self-destruct in Mata Nui robot to prevent further environmental contamination. Former inhabitants of MU all killed in the resulting explosion.

Beast Wars.

Greg is great. After reading those, I wish he'd make a list of hundreds of alternate universes, if only for entertainment purposes.

(My Spidey-sense is also telling me that this is bait for hundreds of bad fanfics.)

MU 7809 - Matoro does not sacrifice himself, Mata Nui dies, inhabitants of MU other than Makuta migrate to surface and build a new life for themselves. Collapse of island of Mata Nui occurs far earlier than planned, resulting in numerous deaths. "Islands" of new land created float away from each other, spreading out over the planet. New, isolated cultures develop on the few land masses where populations survive.

...Actually pretty cool.

...Actually pretty cool.

I agree, this one is better than The Kingdom IMO.

The problem with this list is that people are now gonna use it as evidence in some parts, ignoring the fact it's a joke. If it wasn't, I could be able to prove that Mata Nui has a self-destruct switch independent of him that contains an incredibly large amount of explosives, which can be activated remotely by some sort of signal. I could also prove that the Great Beings are going to come to the EO some time before 10,000 years, because that's the time it takes for the Matoran to figure out how to leave the planet, yet it's possible for them to be blown up before they leave.

Finally, I can also prove that the Ignika is actually very close to breaking, as it could've when Matoro sacrificed himself, and so Mata Nui is totally screwed on Bara Magna. :thumbup:

Sorry for going off topic about what you're talking about, but:

Over 100,000 years ago, the Great Beings noticed that the spread of the Energized Protodermis was causing massive damage to the infrastructure of their planet, and undertook the creation of an enormous being, laying the foundation of the being.

I don't know if anyone thought of it first but... Could be the thing spread over Bara Magna the foundation of Mata Nui?

Mata Nui wasn't built on Bara Magna, though ;) And I doubt he'd have THAT many leftover parts. xD

-Ikk

I remember Greg saying that there was a region of Spherus Magna called Bara Magna. And remember, there was a Great Ocean, and the Northern Frost in the planet too. But then came the Shattering and... Snap! What I'm wondering is if the Energized Protodermis reconstructed the rock of the split sections...

Oh yeah, reading BS01 I came across:

-Mata Nui should know of the existence of Bara Magna, but he does not.

Edited by Nightmare

Greg specifically said MN wasn't built on Bara Magna, and seeing as BM was likely a Spherus Magnan region before the Shattering, he couldn't have been built there. It's more likely the robot is the second of the "two that must make them one", who was never completed...

-Ikk

Edited by Ikki o' Moopyville

Mata Nui wasn't built on Bara Magna, though ;) And I doubt he'd have THAT many leftover parts. xD

-Ikk

Mata Nui was built on Spherus Magna, and could very well have been built in the region Bara Magna. Greg is being very tricky with this, so he when he said no to Bara Magna, he could've meant no to Planet Bara Magna, but not Region Bara Magna, because the question asker was obviously referring to PBM, because nobody knew about RBM.

However I agree that it's kinda lame to build an entire other GB worth of spare parts. Plus, when you're building a being as big as Mata Nui, you build it in one place, so that you don't need to transport a 5000 km long leg to somewhere else.

when you're building a being as big as Mata Nui, you build it in one place, so that you don't need to transport a 5000 km long leg to somewhere else.

But if you're building it in a secret?

But if you're building it in a secret?

You don't build a 12,000 km tall super robot in secret, especially during a planet wide crisis. :tongue: