VBBN

Bionicle 2009 Images and Discussion

I think what people are failing to understand is that TLC is discontinuing the old shade of purple, not the darker, newer one.

Then why hasn't the new one been used in BIONICLE yet? And can I see pics of it? I haven't seen it

On Danju, Dark Panther,and a bunch of other sets and parts I don't care for searching for.

Think Lego said hey didn't want purple because there is no element for it. Or it could be a secret fear of Barney.

On Danju, Dark Panther,and a bunch of other sets and parts I don't care for searching for.

Think Lego said hey didn't want purple because there is no element for it. Or it could be a secret fear of Barney.

In the BIONICLE design alone, they've been able to avoid using purple because it's not relevant. However, last year they released a company-wide decision to largely discontinue the colour, because it wasn't consistent enough. So it's not going to appear soon in the future in large amounts. (There is a small Indiana Jones set that has one purple piece, but that's probably because people won't be able to notice inconsistencies with one piece.)

Also why are there no sets of female characters? or am I wrong here?

Technically, you're wrong, but you might as well be right. I've been asking myself almost the same question - if 2009 allows for equal gender distrubution among the tribes, why is it that only ONE of the zillions of new characters we've learned about is female? And why is the only female character STILL a member of the water tribe? As far as I see it, TLC still wants elemental segregation. :thumbdown:

~~END~~

In the BIONICLE design alone, they've been able to avoid using purple because it's not relevant. However, last year they released a company-wide decision to largely discontinue the colour, because it wasn't consistent enough. So it's not going to appear soon in the future in large amounts. (There is a small Indiana Jones set that has one purple piece, but that's probably because people won't be able to notice inconsistencies with one piece.)

No, just the old shade of purple. The current shade is still in use. We just haven't seen it used in large amounts post-2008 yet.

Ever since Onepu, I haven't missed purple. Then again, what is purple but just purple? It doesn't represent a element I presume, and there isn't a Unicorn Tribe in Bara Magna.

*points to your banner and av*

And... you don't miss purple? ;_;

True, it is just a color. But it is an AWESOME color that MOCists don't have enough of.

~Bunda

Unless you're BFS.

Who's BFS? Big Frakkin' Stu? Bengalese Frank Sinatra? Bundalings-From Spain?

On another note, where has Jinzo been?

Who's BFS? Big Frakkin' Stu? Bengalese Frank Sinatra? Bundalings-From Spain?

On another note, where has Jinzo been?

bigfatslob.

I think Jinzo lost his internet or sumthing.

Technically, you're wrong, but you might as well be right. I've been asking myself almost the same question - if 2009 allows for equal gender distrubution among the tribes, why is it that only ONE of the zillions of new characters we've learned about is female? And why is the only female character STILL a member of the water tribe? As far as I see it, TLC still wants elemental segregation. :thumbdown:

~~END~~

Why is the line of Barbie dolls mostly girls? Clearly Mattel wants to maintain discrimination.

I think it's because LEGO can no longer come up with female characters that aren't vicious and destructive.

See: Roodaka, Lariska, Gorast, female Skakdi, Nikila, Dalu, Gavla. All of them are further from placid than most of the males, and these are almost all of the new female characters we've had in the last four years.

Why is the line of Barbie dolls mostly girls? Clearly Mattel wants to maintain discrimination.

You are pointing out that BIONICLE is oriented towards little boys?

That's not the point of the argument... I think the point was that it's mostly the BLUE one in BIONICLE "sets of six" that has a chance in heck of being a "girl" character, and save Gavla all of them are associated with the element of Water. It's ALWAYS THE BLUE ONE, if at all.

On a related note, why can't we have a green character as a girl? Dryads aren't so bad

Also what focus group of autistic 9-year-olds convinced the LEGO BIONICLE Piraka marketing team that they had to give even their female characters such horribly masculine appearances- I wouldn't mind if they just made them flat as a board- but... well, the best example is Hahli Inika's snorkelstache and Gavla being a horrible troll thing.

That's not the point of the argument... I think the point was that it's mostly the BLUE one in BIONICLE "sets of six" that has a chance in heck of being a "girl" character, and save Gavla all of them are associated with the element of Water. It's ALWAYS THE BLUE ONE, if at all.

On a related note, why can't we have a green character as a girl? Dryads aren't so bad

Despite the storyline breaking free this year with mixed gender tribes, set-wise if there's been a girl, it was always a blue one. Most kids have probably picked up on that, and imagine the shock and horror on little Jimmy's face when he realised that his red BIONICLE was a girl! The story team probably has restrictions to keep all the main characters as guys, apart from the occasional girl to swat away the sexism complaints on BZP. I'm really surprised that Greg managed a female Gorast last year, although all those Makuta were practically "its" anyway, so it probably didn't matter.

A Glatorian that is like an Amazon... Antrozek!!!!!!! You know da' drill!!!

Uh-oh... here come teh booobehs!

Honestly, I think I prefer bionicle art if the eyes are kept true to sets and no mouths unless it's actually a part of the set. Those things just bug me... The rest can be as stylized as ever, just no mouths or anime eyes...

*snip*

Honestly, I think I prefer bionicle art if the eyes are kept true to sets and no mouths unless it's actually a part of the set. Those things just bug me... The rest can be as stylized as ever, just no mouths or anime eyes...

That sounds... boring.

That sounds... boring.

no-boring is putting a mouth on everything that has a head. mouthlessness=weird=awesome. and eyes... need diversity. Anime does not fit everything.

But remember-this is my opinion only. I'm not about to go on judging anything you or anyone else does, kay?

boring.jpg

YOU MADE TAHU GET SAD!!!

Antrozzie, is there an occasion that you don't have a picture for? :grin: If there is, I sincerely hope that it never happens.

no-boring is putting a mouth on everything that has a head. mouthlessness=weird=awesome. and eyes... need diversity. Anime does not fit everything.

But remember-this is my opinion only. I'm not about to go on judging anything you or anyone else does, kay?

IMO, it's okay if robotic mouths are incorporated sensibly into the face with a speaker/transformer-movie-mouth thing when appropriate on masks such as the Huna. Human mouths slapped on the mask make no sense at all. It also needs to be done in a way that makes it clear that the mouth is not part of the mask, there is just a well shaped hole in the mask for it.

Eyebrows floating in front of masks make no sense, and where fail in the movie and are annoying in art.

I personally prefer set style eyes, because they're most accurate, and you can still get a surprising amount of expression out of them by altering their shape behind the mask. I'm not sure what to make of movie eyes, because they looked alright and non-human enough, but they were still kinda freaky. As for human/organic eyes, they don't make sense at all, and it makes me think that the characters are freaky evil cyborgs like General Grievous.

IMO, it's okay if robotic mouths are incorporated sensibly into the face with a speaker/transformer-movie-mouth thing when appropriate on masks such as the Huna. Human mouths slapped on the mask make no sense at all. It also needs to be done in a way that makes it clear that the mouth is not part of the mask, there is just a well shaped hole in the mask for it.

Since I place holes in masks with mouths behind them, I guess I'm clear.

As for human/organic eyes, they don't make sense at all, and it makes me think that the characters are freaky evil cyborgs like General Grievous.

I always thought the BIONICLE characters were kinda cyborg-ish. On a related note to your apparent fear of cyborgs... I was surfing the net and found this:

750241912702d808cc8978863938bdaa.jpg

TEE HEE

EDIT: In case you can't see it, here is the URL: http://e621.net/data/750241912702d808cc8978863938bdaa.jpg

Edited by Toa of Whimsy