Marius2002

[MOC] Millennium Falcon

Hello 

I'm new to Eurobricks, and I really wanted to share this Millennium Falcon that I made, and get some thoughts and opinions on the design. It is currently only a digital model, but I'm planning to get the pieces and build it at some point in the future. Thank you for your time!

Here is a link to the instruction and partlist if you're interested in building it for yourself.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-154536/Marius2002/millennium-falcon/#details

IMG.pngIMG_1.pngIMG_2.pngIMG_2.pngIMG_3.pngIMG_3.png

IMG4.pngIMG_7.png

IMG_9.pngIMG_4.png

Edited by Marius2002

That's a wonderful looking model, love the choice of an unusual scale. I do agree with the above comment and now think that the mandibles could be a plate thicker, but didn't notice the "issue" (very heavy quotemarks, but I'm not finding a less heavy word than "issue") before reading that, so it's not even that evident to me :D
Keep up the good work, and kudos for giving the Solo version some love.

Woah this looks fantastic! Love the use of the barrels on either side and the tessellation of all the angled parts. My little nitpick would be is it possible to make the two round black tiles at the back face up the same way as the other four for a more coherent look? Anyways, phenomenal moc of falcon!

Thank you so much for your kind words and great feedback. I made some changes to the models based on the comments you made. The biggest change was that I remade the mandibles to be a tiny bit thicker. I used bricks and slopes instead of plates and wedges, which also gave it a smoother, studless look. I also redid one of the panels on the back to make all the black round tiles face the same way. some minor changes was also done to make it a bit more accurate.

Venator.png Venator%202.png

You have captured the proportions and details really well in this small scale! I like most of the modifications you made in these most recent photos, although I would say that I miss the stacked roller skates on the tips of the mandibles--that was a fantastic design idea. I like that the blue engine strip is more visible now. Is this model mountable on a stand for display?

I tweak the mandibles a bit more and managed to get the stacked roller skates back. The only issue is that the two slopes used are at two different angles. It's really subtle but noticeable.

Yes the model has mounting points for a stand. I have already designed a simple stand for it, but any stand would work. It attaches to the bottom with two pins

Venator3.pngVenator4.png

Venator5.png

I actually preferred the first mandible iteration, as the second version lost the texture of the plate built, and now integrates less well with the busier texture-wise main hull. Perhaps consider using bricks with studs on sides and brackets to add detailing back in? That said, brick-built would likely still miss the sidewall greebling that the wedge plates gave the outer edges of the mandibles, which was a nice continuation of the sidewalls from the main hull.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:28 PM, Sylyphics said:

I actually preferred the first mandible iteration, as the second version lost the texture of the plate built, and now integrates less well with the busier texture-wise main hull. Perhaps consider using bricks with studs on sides and brackets to add detailing back in? That said, brick-built would likely still miss the sidewall greebling that the wedge plates gave the outer edges of the mandibles, which was a nice continuation of the sidewalls from the main hull.

Yes, I agree. The second iteration is very smooth and clean in comparison to the rest of the ship, so I went back to the plate design and built on it. I managed to keep the thickness of the brick built version and also add detail. I cant decide weather I like it or not. It's a lot more detailed than previous iterations, but it might be too detailed.

sdg.png 

8 minutes ago, Marius2002 said:

Yes, I agree. The second iteration is very smooth and clean in comparison to the rest of the ship, so I went back to the plate design and built on it. I managed to keep the thickness of the brick built version and also add detail. I cant decide weather I like it or not. It's a lot more detailed than previous iterations, but it might be too detailed.

Better detailed now than smooth IMO, though it changes the look. Part of the effect that it looks more detailed is that it now has a lot more of a negative-space type look, as if what we are seeing is the inner part of the mandible with the top section removed, the epidermal layer of hull if you will. Looking at some photos of the film prop it seems the mandibles are almost the same thickness as the edge of the hull "dish", so you can likely get away with bulking them up a bit more visually.

23 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

I don't generally like midi-scale, but the execution here is just supremely good.

Thank you so much!

I have to admit the older I get the more interesting I find the midi-scale. Maybe because it's so difficult to keep things in proportion and make it look good at the same time. But you nailed it sir! 

On 8/11/2023 at 9:17 PM, Powder Monkey said:

I have to admit the older I get the more interesting I find the midi-scale. Maybe because it's so difficult to keep things in proportion and make it look good at the same time. But you nailed it sir! 

Thank you!