Ahoy to y’all,

happy to share my first pirates-based MOC to this great (sub)forum. The project is called [Ruined] Outpost - subtitled A Merchant‘s Tale. (More about the thoughts behind it after a short introduction)

Yoi8WBR.jpeg

Prologue: Once again, our cheerful but slightly confused merchant can't find his intended destination. Was he holding the compass the wrong way around? On his odyssey through the waters, he spotted an Imperial outpost on a small island. He thought it would be a good idea to stop and ask for directions. Most of all he was happy to have a short chat.

But the closer he got to the island, he noticed that it seemed deserted. Nevertheless, he landed to get a better impression and explore the location…

iPgJNo5.jpeg

Epilogue: Some time later: The once small but proud outpost is destroyed. No sign of our friendly merchant. In any case, he cannot have sailed away with his ship, it has been shattered and is adrift on the water. A dead soldier leans against the tower's broken walls. No matter what happened: A dark secret now surrounds this island.

So much for my part of the story - what happened in between is up to the viewer's imagination. So both yours and mine. I'm still trying to figure out what happened ;)
Maybe a few more pictures from all sides of the island will give new clues - or at least new ideas.

3BY23K3.jpeg

XKfOuVm.jpeg

SAHYY27.jpeg

4CGqKbV.jpeg

M5ViSTN.jpeg

About the creation: My actual goal was to build at least a small LEGO ship. (Respect to all you real shipbuilders btw). My result in more detail below

K8Ey4pJ.jpeg

hlDZ3QB.jpeg

Ll5o1zC.jpeg

I quickly realized that the ship needed a suitable background. So the idea of building an outpost on an island came up. A great opportunity to turn the idea into a homage to the classic LEGO pirate era. In addition to the ideal world it should also be included a ruined version. With a few movements the intact tower can be transformed into a ruin. The breaking point in the ship and the leaves at the hideout are further functions. Overall, it should give the building a bit of originality. Finally, it was important to me to use a high level of detail, which you don't see that often at classic pirates buildings but I prefer it with my MOCs. 1x1 Round Tiles were available at the Pick-A-Brick Wall. It seemed to be a great option for the water to me. A few more details that I particularly like:

a5OfqO6.jpeg

kKX8g1m.jpeg

Not much to say about the minifig: Most of the elements were available in the LEGO shop (minifig tower). I particularly like the ´merchants's long hair and the soldier's red spot. For anyone who thinks this is too violent: It's just tomato sauce... Well, probably ;)

d8UhcMA.jpeg

I hope you like my project. Of course, I'm happy about any feedback. Or if you finally tell me what happened.

Keep sailing!
BR, Tobi / MM

Edited by MontyMatte

Well, no wonder you are a 10K club member, this is simply great.

The photos, background story, huge attention to the smallest detail, custom brick-built ship, angled structures... just wow!

And look there, a seagull nest! Excellent! :pir-triumph:

On 7/21/2023 at 7:55 PM, Marooned Marin said:

Well, no wonder you are a 10K club member, this is simply great.

The photos, background story, huge attention to the smallest detail, custom brick-built ship, angled structures... just wow!

And look there, a seagull nest! Excellent! :pir-triumph:

Thank you for this great feedback. Also that you emphasize what you consider to be particularly successful. That reminds me... maybe I should have added a bird too ;)

The whole build is perfect-good storytelling (I really like such update builds, it's a good idea and adds to the story).

The rockwork is great (and unusual-most don't build it that way) the gondola-like raft is really good, too (and avoids monotony from every brown raft ever), I will however say I prefer tiled water or baseplates instead of 1x1s, as it makes it easier to add details on the water, but to each their own, I guess (and it does look very nice).

I hope you'll do something for the contest, since it would give everyone else a run for their money!

On 7/31/2023 at 8:05 PM, Horation said:

The whole build is perfect-good storytelling (I really like such update builds, it's a good idea and adds to the story).

The rockwork is great (and unusual-most don't build it that way) the gondola-like raft is really good, too (and avoids monotony from every brown raft ever), I will however say I prefer tiled water or baseplates instead of 1x1s, as it makes it easier to add details on the water, but to each their own, I guess (and it does look very nice).

I hope you'll do something for the contest, since it would give everyone else a run for their money!

Hello Horation, Thank you for this great and detailed feedback. I've been very happy about it. You might be right about the water. But I found the 1x1 dots on the Pick-A-brick and just added them to the rest. The result was ok for me ;) Maybe I'll get into the contest - but only with a mini set. Unfortunately I'm busy with another project :) Thanks again and have a good time. BR, Tobi