mobiletranslator

Bricklink's Stud.io Instruction Maker not working!!! I beg for help :(

80971715_Capturadepantalla2023-07-20154645.thumb.png.356141da77762a1f85073f2fc8b70768.pngHi! It's my first time using Bricklink's Stud.io. I'm making a LEGO set as a gift for my partner and it's worked great so far. I have finished building the set and I want to create the instructions so I click the "Instructions" option. Then the Instructions Maker page opens but the set doesn't show on the screen. I have waited more than an hour because I thought the set was maybe too heavy (not that much though, 350 pieces) but never seems to load. Is there something I am doing wrong? Can someone help me, please? Thank you!

Try to center the set in the Builder Screen, if still not visible, try to zoom in or out, the build is probably very small or outside the view window.

32 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Try to center the set in the Builder Screen, if still not visible, try to zoom in or out, the build is probably very small or outside the view window.

I just tried this but I can't fix it... It's like there's nothing, except that when I go back to the Builder Screen there's the whole build there. I can't figure out what's happening and I really need the instructions :/

If you make the file available to me I can have a look. PM me a link for download or something like that. 

Right click in the area where the model should be, above the parts.  Then choose “Reset Origin” in the menu that appears.  That should recenter and rescale the view on the model.

Edited by SylvainLS

3 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Right click in the area where the model should be, above the parts.  Then choose “Reset Origin” in the menu that appears.  That should recenter and rescale the view on the model.

It doesn't :(

I'm so frustrated. It doesn't seem to be any problem with the scale of the model because I have tried everything (zooming in and out, reseting origin, moving the window view, restarting the program...) but nothing seems to work. I can't figure out what's wrong as it is my first time using it but there's clearly something off.

Do you see the model if you go in Page Design?

There may be something wrong with the graphics (incomplete drivers?).  What’s your GPU?  and your OS?

Otherwise, you can contact the dev team by e-mail (studio -at- bricklink.com).  You’ll need to re-state everything, give your system info, and better join Studio’s log file (file PrevPlayer.log in C:\Users\{YOU}\AppData\local\Stud.io on Windows and /Users/{YOU}/.local/share/Stud.io on MacOS; AppData and .local are hidden).

You may also post on the Studio forum (from Studio: Help | Submit feedback and create a new post; you need a BrickLink account).  Then I’ll flag the post to the devs (I can’t give them a post from this forum: they can’t have accounts everywhere to answer), so it can take longer.

BTW, I just noticed that the step previews on the left are also empty, so there’s something really wrong.

Also, another idea: in Build mode, use the Step List (bottom right) to make a step with only one simple brick in it.  Then go in Instruction mode, and select that step if it’s not the first one (just click on it on the left).  If it can show one part, then there’s more chances something is wrong with the model (or with how Studio can handle the model) than with the system/graphics.

Edited by SylvainLS

If I go in Page Design I can only see the page in which all the necessary bricks and pieces are shown, but not the actual instructions. My OS is Windows 11 Pro and my GPU is an Intel R UHD Graphics

Well, it’s normal: as you have only two steps, there’ll be many parts in the parts lists and it will be hiding most of the model.  The test was to know the extent of the problem (there’s been some graphics problems that were in both Instructions modes but not in Build or vice-versa).

Please try the “only one simple brick in one step” test.

In Building mode, on the right, there’s the list of parts.  It’s the Step List.

The simplest way to make the test is to:

1. Select all the parts in the Viewport (Ctrl-A will do it).
  2. Move the pointer to the Step List and right-click on a part.
  3. Choose MoveTo > Step 2.  That will move all the parts in Step 2.  (From the picture, you already have a step 2.  If not, choose New step.)
  4. Now, still in the Step List, right-click on only one part (a simple one, like a brick).
  5. Choose MoveTo > Step 1.  That way, the first step will only have one part.
  6. Go to Instruction mode.

If you now correctly see only the one part, then something is wrong with the rest of the model.

Okay I just did it. When I go to Instruction mode it shows that Step 1 contains the brick that I moved to Step 1, and Step 2 contains all the other parts. But still not showing of the image, just the brick belonging to each step showing in the Brick Bar (I don't know the proper name to it).

6 minutes ago, Berthil said:

It's not downloadable, you did not share with link only.

Oh sorry, I thought it was okay. Better now?

https://mega.nz/file/BcQESbRZ#WyQdwVAQfiZzXlU4Eowz8jP9kwk1WTk9Ys6xbVg8qHg

I don't know why but the canvas is 3139.5 suds by 8741.2 studs!
So the model is lost somewhere, I'll try a few things to see if it can be salvaged.
Seems like you have loose bricks very far away from your model.

Edited by Berthil

If found a black Door 1 x 4 x 6 with 3 Panes and Stud Handle with Trans-Clear Glass on the corner 8000 studs away via Top Perspective. If you search for Door in the part search you will see three door entries. If you delete that one from the parts list and do reset to origin it will be okay.
I have a correct file, let me know if you manage yourself. If not I will upload.

Edited by Berthil

Glad you found the problem, Berthil :thumbup:

Still, there’s something fishy with the zoom in Step Editor: it should zoom to show the parts in the step, but it seems the zoom is first set to see the whole model the first time you go to Step Editor and “Reset Origin” doesn’t always change it, even if you change the parts afterward.
It works on this model though, so it’s okay for mobiletransaltor, but it’s still a bug (and explains why my simple test didn’t work).

BTW, simple way to select the part you can’t see: rectangle-select the model (that you should see), then Ctrl+Shift+V to revert the selection.  Now you have the bad part selected and you can just delete it.

(Rectangle-selection = start grabbing with the mouse outside the model, then pass over the model, a rectangle is drawn and every part that’s inside or crosses the model is selected and lights up.)

Forgot: Nice model :thumbup:

Edited by SylvainLS