ukbajadave

Driving in Germany

Hello to all the European members from a former European (but enough about Brexit :sadnew:)

The family and I are heading to Germany next week and plan to hire a car for some trips around. Apart from driving on the wrong side is there anything the locals all know that us foreigners could benefit from?

We'll  be in the Black Forest area.

Bratwurst :pir_tong2:

There are no speed limits on most highways. (Autobahn)
Germans are generally reserved, but once you make friends, you're easily accepted. They are punctual. And when they've had some beer, German sounds quite harsh :)

On 9/29/2023 at 3:28 AM, vijv said:

There are no speed limits on most highways. (Autobahn)

Well, this is way too late (OP was July 2 + 1 week) - just to make sure what is going on in Germany :pir-laugh:

On 30% of all Autobahnen (or Autobahns) there is a speed limit of 120 - 130 km/h.

On 8-9% of the (total) 13000 km Autobahn, there are more than 550 long(er) term construction sites. Which totals to about 1200 km.

So, relax, sit back, and enjoy the time in one of the 213000 traffic jam km, we currently build up each year on the Autobahns. BTW, once the traffic jam clears, people usually go totally nuts and try to compensate for the time lost. Just to come to a grinding halt in the next jam caused by another of the 550 construction sites.

No need for a >500 PS super car at all, not in Germany.

Well, one of my colleagues in the US used to tell me: Come on, let's do a ride - you won't believe, how fast this thing gets to 70 mph.

I ride my ebike to work (15 km). With a super car: 15 min absolute minimum, i.e., 3 am incl. ignoring traffic lights; 30 min incl. light traffic jam at 6 am; 40 min incl. regular traffic jam at 8 am. With ebike: 35-40 min, depending on #cars and #traffic lights I need to navigate.

So: When visiting Germany, just get a small car if at all, and just relax. Go with the flow, if there is some.

Best,
Thorsten   

Some European cities including some in Germany have Low Emission Zones. I recently drove through France,  Belgium and Netherlands to Germany.  You can apply for permits in advance online. I know Ghent, Brussels, Eindoven and Berlin have such zones. Most are free if you have a low emission petrol car, electric or hybrid but Berlin charged a small admin fee for a windscreen sticker. I'm not sure as my German is limited but I think the Berlin one is good for all Germany. Maybe someone local can verify.

Not only have I returned from Germany but I have also returned to Eurobricks! Thanks to everyone for the info. For anyone coming across this thread in the future don't worry, driving in Germany is nicer than the UK. The roads are better maintained and standards seem generally higher. Note that people don't indicate until they are leaving roundabouts, so no signal means give way. We did find a bit of derestricted Autobahn in our rented Clio, and when you check your mirrors before an overtake bear in mind that tiny tiny car you see a mile back may catch up quicker than you think.