CDKiii

French cadet of military academy of saint cyr

Hello everyone,

I've just finished my last custom.

A french second lieutenant from the french military academy of saint cyr, created in 1804 by Napoleon (the old one, not the eurobricks emperor).

Nowadays, they still wear the uniform of the 2nd half of the 19th century.

52986716940_fe6ab61fe4.jpgFrench cadet from military academy of saint cyr by LA BRIQUE  DE CAMBRONNE, sur Flickr

52986339461_2c6c783c5d.jpgFrench cadet from military academy of saint cyr by LA BRIQUE  DE CAMBRONNE, sur Flickr

Edited by CDKiii

The overall figure is quite good, however there is an issue that if fixed would make this an outstanding figure. Before I move onto the improvement I'd first like to point out the positives. You did an excellent job creating the custom elements which help set your figure apart. The saber I would give it a 10/10 right there. The detailed hilt design, the painting all excellent. The same could be said about the head piece. Now what lets this figure down is the torso design. You've got the application of the decal perfect but the low quality and blurry image just don't do the figure justice. Once you fix the torso design the figure would go from good to outstanding. 

P.S If your needing help with decal design please reach out to me. I can help create a set of custom decals for you to use. 

Thank you a lot for your reply. I'm happy you like it.

I know that common inkjet printers are far from good for tiny designs like minifigs torso. May i invest in a laser printer later. 

You're very welcome. Inkjet printers are not necessarily horrible for decals. I would go into your printer settings and see about turning up the DPI ratio to max. The true advantage of a laser printer when it applies to water slide decals is not having to seal the paper before application. Simply print, cut out and apply. 

The cadets look great and you nailed the design! If only their real world counterparts (just watched some pictures) would wear their scabbards in a more traditional way...

On 12/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

The cadets look great and you nailed the design! If only their real world counterparts (just watched some pictures) would wear their scabbards in a more traditional way...

What do you mean by more traditional way?

In the pictures it looks like they walk like this the whole parade. But i don't want to argue about this. Your minifig is a great depiction of the cadets and it was not my intention to take away from that.

thank you,

actually, french procedures are to point forward the scabbard when are not at ease (marching too). during napoleonic wars , it was already the case, to avoid it to move and to slap the leg when marching.

All orders for parade come from this time, when battle were fought in line:

"attention (prepare to march, so carry your weapon), forward... march!!!"  this is why french (and some other nations) carry their scabbard like that.

26 minutes ago, CDKiii said:

thank you,

actually, french procedures are to point forward the scabbard when are not at ease (marching too). during napoleonic wars , it was already the case, to avoid it to move and to slap the leg when marching.

All orders for parade come from this time, when battle were fought in line:

"attention (prepare to march, so carry your weapon), forward... march!!!"  this is why french (and some other nations) carry their scabbard like that.

I did a lot of research on military units and equipment for WW2 video games and sometimes you come across military traditions that nowadays look silly from the outside because its origins are unknown to the viewer. But that does not mean any kind of judgement!

I love military history.

And don't take any offense, i was not thinking you were judging.  and indeed  it seems an unaturally way of carriing at the first sight.