Sign in to follow this  
Pchan1983

REVIEW: 80049 Dragon of the East Palace

Here is my review on Monkie Kid 80049 Dragon of the East Palace:

THE GOOD:

• Looks great with excellent building experience.
  • The sliding mechanism to reveal inside of the palace is great.
  • Lots of nice references to the source materials.
  • Love the bed build as it looks so authentic.
  • Excellent minifigures collection with more than half are exclusive to this set.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• The stickers on the pillar can be hard to apply due to the mould injection point.

Another epic location build from Monkie Kid.  I think the official product image does not do its justice.  This set is actually pretty massive and lots of depths.  I was slightly surprised when I was building it.  I had a blast building this and the end result just look great.  Great us to the blue colour and interesting use of pieces to create the exterior design.  The interior is full of details too, the bed is just great and so accurate in terms of portraying Chinese bed in the past.  One of the best part is the opening mechanism, it just work so well and reveal the main area of the palace which looks great and really love how the windows are built.  In fact this so called Crystal Palace area is very authentic to a typical Chinese palace.  On top of that you get a good selection of new parts (I love the new glittering fern piece and excellent minifigures!  I really need to build an army of the shrimps and crabs.  At $320, the price tag is a bit steep but I think this set worth every pennies.  It's definitely a recommendation from me.  Now you have a location build on each of this area, sky, surface and now underwater.  One can only hope LEGO do something for the underworld now :P

Thanks for the awesome review on Monkie Kid 80049 Dragon of the East Palace! It sounds like a fantastic set with lots of great features. The sliding mechanism and attention to detail in the interior design sound impressive. It's always exciting to see LEGO sets that pay homage to the source materials and offer exclusive minifigures.
As a dragon enthusiast, I'm always on the lookout for exciting sets, and this one seems to tick all the right boxes. If you're interested in exploring more dragon-related content, you should check out dragon-vibe.com. It's a perfect place for dragon lovers to find something they like.

Edited by LawrenceWalker