JaapTechnic

[MOC] Nooteboom OVB-95-07 Ballast Trailer

After 6 years with no new models from my side, i am back with a new trailer - The new Nooteboom Ballast Trailer.

These types of trailers are mostly used in Europe for hauling heavy crane ballast. In 2014 Nooteboom released a new version of their Ballast Trailer compliant to new EU rules regarding axle loads. This trailer has a more modern design than the predecessor and is equipped with a rather unusual steering system. This made me have to design one in Lego. As the initial creator of automatic servo steered trailers, this would be the next step to take. The first system was designed for the Nooteboom 8 axle semi-trailer which steered 7 out of 8 axles using gear racks and standard steering knuckles. This new Ballast Trailer steers using solid rigid axles with a turntable mounted at the center of the axle. Believe it or not, this is how it actually works on the real one. Have a look at the video below and see how this trailer steers fully automatically. No controls required. Nice detail, It powers on using the control panel at the side of the trailer!

OVB%20render-12.jpg

OVB%20render-16.jpg

OVB%20render-15.jpg

Steering is performed by 3 servo motors steering 6 axles. With an automatic input based on the fifth wheel rotation this trailer can be steered throughout any corner, forwards and backwards.
This steering system requires custom parts. These parts allow the steering system to be aligned in a straight line. On the other hand, these custom parts might also slow down clone brands copying this model.

The whole model is equipped with lights from Brickstuff. This absolutely creates the last bit of realism making it hard to see if it's still a Lego scale model.
We are working on light kits for both, truck and trailer, to be released anytime soon.

Last but not least, building instructions, stickers and custom parts are available at my website
Sadly there won't be a part list on Rebrickable. Models which are hosted on external websites aren't allowed there anymore... A big loss for Rebrickable.
My models will be kept together, with the required sticker sets and other accessories, in one single store. 

Edited by JaapTechnic

Looks very realistic with all those details, would be nice to see some more details of the solutions inside the trailer :moar: Cool to learn about the simple steering solutions, would like to add that the axles of the real trailer use air suspension balloons for suspension as shown in your video.

Thanks everyone for the complements!

On 5/29/2023 at 8:30 PM, GerritvdG said:

Looks very realistic with all those details, would be nice to see some more details of the solutions inside the trailer :moar: Cool to learn about the simple steering solutions, would like to add that the axles of the real trailer use air suspension balloons for suspension as shown in your video.

The steering system is very similar to my previous Nooteboom trailer. It's only modified for this new rigid axle type. It houses some very cool building techniques which hide all the electric components. The whole story will be revealed in the building instruction.

New feature on this trailer is the suspension. You did a good spot in the video there! All axles are equipped with drop-down suspension. Whatever the surface you're driving on, all wheels will remain contact with the ground.
City sized wheels are used to recreate the looks of air suspension. The actual suspension is pure mechanic.

Hi there,

well at last the OVB is done...

I´d allways like Jaap´s Buildings so i bought the BI asop and after a short look i rebuild it with stud.io, cause i´d like to use different colours.

What´s to say about it ? well, no surprise, the steering system is almost the same as the MCO 121 - why useing ohter, it´s perfect ;)

I can´t wait to build it in real, but befor i have to collect "a few" parts :D

A question to Jaap, does it work with 2 servo´s ? maybe you have tested it

On 8/1/2023 at 4:37 PM, Dave42 said:

A question to Jaap, does it work with 2 servo´s ? maybe you have tested it

Yes, same as on the Nooteboom semi trailer, when using 2 servo's it steers fine but has less loading capacity.
Also, since the PowerFunctions servo motor became an expansive part. Some people start shopping for non-lego look-a-like servo's. Somehow most of these non-lego motors are wired differently which results in a trailer steering the wrong direction. Which can be solved using a Lego PowerFunctions switch.

Looking forward seeing your color scheme.