Hi everybody!

Back in TC21 Technic Transforming Vehicle Contest I had this idea. Soon I realize it would not be possible for me to do it in the contest timeframe. So here it is at last. It’s an RC LEGO 42077 that transforms itself. So, let’s start with the video…

Here is a photo.

2023-02-05_16.46.39_Canon_PowerShot_SX40

More photos here.

So, the car opens itself and the fake engine becomes a tensegrity sculpture. And, when it is closed, the fake engine works connected to the differential. Initially I had the idea of building a car from scratch…. But then I saw the 42077 empty shell in the shelf crying for being filled up with motors and gears :classic:. It was quite a challenge, one that I really liked to do. Here are some notes:

1. The chassis was changed to include a driving, a steering, and a transform motor, all Powered Up L-motors,
  2. The front adda small was change to allow better steering.
  3. The front was changed to include the hood opening mechanism. The hood had to be flexible, so that it could closed. Flexibility is achieved with shock absorbers.
  4. The rear suspension had to be lowered to give space for the mechanism.
  5. The rear was completely modified to become an opening element… while maintaining the original 42077 looks.
  6. The fake engine is hanged by two strings that come from the roof. These strings have a tension fine tuning mechanism next to the car rear window. When the roof opens, the fake engine is pulled up.
  7. There are two other strings that go through the chassis and connect to the lower part of the fake engine. These strings will pull the fake engine against the chassis when the roof is closed, allowing the engine to connect to the differential. When the roof opens, these strings allow the engine to be lifted and kept in equilibrium. The strings are connected to a reel located near the right door, that slides connected to one of the linear actuators that control the roof movement. I took some time to find this solution, but it seems to work quite well, the trick is the synchronization with the LA.
  8. Control is done using a LEGO Remote Handset and Remote Bla Bla.

The mechanism seems to be reliable; you can open and close it several times and it remains properly tuned. You can even drive with the roof open, and close it while moving, as long as in a flat surface and not too fast…

Hope you like it!

Oh I do like that, very creative idea :grin: Pretty cool that you managed to squeeze it all into the same form factor as the original set

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

Really cool idea! :D

Next level pit stop help ;-)

:laugh:, thank you!