ex nihilo aliquid

Studio Rendering with HDRIs: Setup and Theory

It is not my intent to self promote, just a way of disseminating information.  However, if the moderator feels that this has crossed the line, please feel free to delete this post.

This is a link to an article I wrote about setting up and controlling lighting in Bricklink Studio, with an emphasis on using HDRIs.

https://bricknerd.com/home/hacking-studio-how-to-get-better-lighting-in-bricklink-studio-renders-5-22-23

Not that many will read this comment, but....

Anyone that might use the information in the article linked to in the previous post. There is a bug with how Y rotations work with HDRIs. It has been logged with the Studio Dev team.

Current workaround...if you are using an HDRI for lighting, when you rotate the camera in Y, you also need to rotate the HDRI the same amount in Y. So if you rotate the camere -90 in Y (to put it directly above your scene / object), you will need to rotate the HDRI -90 so that the lighting is correct.

Hope this makes sense...and hope they get it fixed soon. According to Sylvain on the Bricklink forums site, the Dev team is still refactoring the code and there isn't much else going on.  [My error, no longer true...see Sylvain's comment below]

Edited by ex nihilo aliquid

I read this yesterday, fantastic article! I've been wanting to experiment more with lighting in Studio and this gives me a great place to start.

Thank you for writing it! 

14 minutes ago, ex nihilo aliquid said:

According to Sylvain on the Bricklink forums site, the Dev team is still refactoring the code and there isn't much else going on.

That was true a couple months ago :classic:  Suggestions are being tackled.  Well, all won’t be implemented of course and rendering may get a backseat first, but we are going over them.  And, anyway, bugs were always investigated.

Havent read through yet, but will do and I personally think more insights and guides can't hurt.. so thanks already for the efforts put it!