Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Brick

[WIP] Crusader Castle - Fortress of the Knights Templar

I've always been impressed by crusader castles. They are massive and they have a unique look due to the merging of European and Oriental architecture. The most famous example is of course Krak des Chevaliers, but I didn't find an angle to turn it into Lego without blowing it up to 10,000+ pieces. Instead, I took inspiration from the Fortress of the Knights Templar in Acre. I still had to shrink it a bit in order to not have it grow out of control, but I feel like I found a good compromise. I wanted it to fit onto two 32x32 baseplates which I just about managed to do. I'm close to finishing the model and I'm currently sitting at 4644 parts. I'm still looking to improve some details, the cobblestone in front of the castle is for example still very primitive and I might add more of a slope to the ground outside. Then there are still some gaps that I might be able to close better. Obviously, it's not minifig scale, that would have required a model that's at least three times as large. Also, it's not modular. While it would be easy to have removable elements, it would be difficult to build any interior at the scale I'm working at. So I saved pieces by having the caste be completely hollow on the inside. 

Anyway, here are some pictures of where I'm currently at.

800x450.png 800x450.png 800x450.png 800x600.png 800x450.png

Amazing build! You did a great job capturing this amazing castle. I have been to Krak numerous times. The castle overlooks the village my family is from in syria. 

32 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

Amazing build! You did a great job capturing this amazing castle. I have been to Krak numerous times. The castle overlooks the village my family is from in syria. 

That is awesome. I'd love to see it in person one day.