Ncore

12V level crossing 7866 - lights don't flash

Hello everyone,

My 7866 remote controlled level crossing does not work as intended when I dug it up from the attic after a mere 35 years after putting it there. The lights only blink when I am holding down the "down"-button. If I am not holding it down, the lights are totally off.

I've tried reversing the wires etc.

Any idea where is the problem? The control unit? The separate flash unit?

I tend to think it's the actual control unit (as in "does not give power to the flash unit unless holding down the down-button"), as the flash unit only makes the flash. 

Does sound like the control unit alright. Do you have any other switches, for points or signals? It might be worth trying the flash unit with one of those to see what happens. It would at least confirm if it’s the control unit.

Its most probably the buttons. When they get old the springs can get a little slack. I had a similar issue with a signal bitton. There is an excellent guide to fixing them posted here.

1 hour ago, Andy Glascott said:

Does sound like the control unit alright. Do you have any other switches, for points or signals? It might be worth trying the flash unit with one of those to see what happens. It would at least confirm if it’s the control unit.

Good idea to try any other control unit with two buttons. But: the internal design of the point vs. the signal control unit is different. The point's control unit will only send an electronic signal when you hold either one of the buttons. The signal's control unit works different. You can press either red or green and the button remains pressed down (as long as you press the other button). The remote control for the level crossing might work similar as the signal one. But only singular, the press down impulse on the bottom will send a signal to the magnetic units to raise or lower the gates. But when releasing the down button there should be a constant signal for the lights to be "on". The flash unit will convert the constant signal into the well known flashing lights.

What if you use the level crossing remote without the flash light unit? 

Well.

A miracle happened. My stepdaughter came in and wanted to test drive the set, and once she closed the gates on the level crossing, the lights started flashing!

Apparently she has a magic touch...