I bring to you the Generic Helicopter. It was made with no brand or style in mind. I started it because the hype around the release of the 42145 at the time. I also had the blades sitting around and finally felt it was time to try to make a

helicopter. I wanted to make one that was full function and as compact as possible. Which was a little challenging, but not impossible. I wanted it it be manual to allow for more room to work with, however after I was done I realized

I could fit a medium PF motor on top to power the rotor. The Work In Progress thread: 

The functions (not to short I hope):

• Collective
  • Cyclic
  • Pedals
  • Spinning Rotors
  • And Sliding Doors!

800x600.JPG

Swashplate with finger slicers:

800x600.JPG

Check out my good side:

800x600.JPG

Look door! *Swoosh sound effect*

800x600.JPG

Tail spinning thingy:

800x600.JPG

The big one is for finger operation or you can spin the rotor its self:

800x600.JPG

The Inputs:

800x600.JPG

The bare bits:

800x600.JPG

More pictures here!

The video of plane Jane working the functions:

Thank you for your time.

Edited by weavil

Beautiful, great work. I like how you incorporated both collective and cyclic. If I recall, Lego has never done that. I bought 9396 a while back when it came out, hoping for such feature but it did not have it. The rotor was fairly 'massive' and complex though.

Can you show some more detail on how you did both cyclic/collective? I just bought two of Efferman's parts from shapeways but haven't got the time to put them to test (must sand them down first ... but who has the time?)

Rotorhead for 2, 3 or 6 blades in White Natural Versatile Plastic Swashplate_V4.2_2-3-4-6 blade_Printfile in White Natural Versatile Plastic

It would be nice to motorize the rotor and show the blades' pitch changes as they rotate against the vertical axis, both for a stationary and rotating observer, a bit like what Akiyuki typically does with his complex GBCs.

Edited by DrJB

4 hours ago, DrJB said:

Can you show some more detail on how you did both cyclic/collective?

640x360.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

I am going to start putting it into Studio today. Also I seen Efferman's parts, but I don't have the money for more parts for a while.