Darth_Legois

Aussie sales! Share the news of LOCAL sales!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Huge-Lego-Mural-Flinders-Street-Station-Melbourne-/290613866495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43a9efafff#ht_862wt_1139

So, now which one is the Legitimate one?? I knew something was up.

Edit: Nevermind, it appears as though the other one was cancelled and re listed under this account.

Edited by Notorious Guf

Kmart from Thursday have the following reduced......

Alien Conquest........Alien Defender $ 13.00

Tripod Invader $ 25.00

UFO Abduction $ 35.00

Jet Copter Encounter $ 49.00

Hero Factory..........$ 12.00 small

$ 15.00 large

Happy shopping ! :laugh:

I think that you will find the kmart specials started on Monday. Hope you didn't miss out.

Oops, my bad ! :blush:

A-holes Kmart are changing it from Thursdays back to Mondays.....just to confuse the living $%#@ out of us.

By the way, Big W Golden Grove still had plenty of fire boats left over.....must not be popular eh ? :laugh:

But I did see a new Ninjago oversized minifig keyring with electronic sound block for under 10 bucks.....didn't buy one though...there for collectable's I was ! :blush:

K-Mart at Belmont, Perth has the following on sale:

Mill Village Raid #7189 for $96, RRP $119.99

Dragon Prison #7187 for $28, RRP $34.99

Looks like they are trying to clear all the Kingdom sets, not just the earlier wave.

It's not really a sale, but if anyone in the Sydney area wanted a copy of City Corner, I found one lonely-looking set at Blacktown Big-W today. The box corners looked a little worn, but it was intact, no structural damage. It scanned for $87, which I thought was a little steep for an older set. If it was a bit cheaper, I might've got me a second copy of it.

I'd really like to know the story behind such a good deal: a $29 price on a product that has a RRP of $79.99.

I wonder if Big W are selling it at cost? Basically, a loss leader to get parents & kids into the toy aisles? Or else it's a massive (nationwide) price screwup!

I could be cynical and say LEGO Australia has made the RRP high to make any price lower than that seem like a good deal, then offered it to Big W as a sweetener to order a lot of other more regularly priced stuff. That's the daytime TV shopping channel approach:

"What would you expect to pay? $80? No! $60? No! $40 No! Order now and pay just $29! And if you phone now we'll throw in a free set of LEGO steak knives!"

Anyway, it shows there's a lot of room to manoeuvre on LEGO pricing.

Just keep in mind that Big W doesn't just sell LEGO. They have an entire department store with thousands and thousands of other items being sold for a profit day in day out. Sure, they may be taking a $50 hit for every fire boat they sell, but it is hardly a drop in the ocean for them, and as has already been said, it's a loss leader designed to get people in the store for the bargain and hopefully buy some other things while they are there.

Just keep in mind that Big W doesn't just sell LEGO. They have an entire department store with thousands and thousands of other items being sold for a profit day in day out. Sure, they may be taking a $50 hit for every fire boat they sell, but it is hardly a drop in the ocean for them, and as has already been said, it's a loss leader designed to get people in the store for the bargain and hopefully buy some other things while they are there.

I think you are disillusioned if you really think they are taking a $50 hit on each one sold.

The cost price on that set is probably around the $30 mark. BigW will be getting a better buy price on the bilk lot they get from Lego wholesale then if that buy price may well be sweetened by a rebate program with the wholesaler.

BigW are a big player in Wollworths market place, they won't be taking hits in $ on this scale. Wollworths are loving taking the battle to Westfarmers.

That's how I see it from my experience working in retail.

Also as a retailer you may be purchasing 50 of these sets from Lego wholesale, BigW would probably purchase say 2000 of each of the 3 sets that are all at the end of the life of that run.

They will be getting a much sweeter deal. I worked out 2000 as I saw about 10 of each set at a couple of BigW stores.

When a major retailer store has a 20% off they take some of the hit but rebates take care of some of it too. It is big businesses way of making money.

I think you are disillusioned if you really think they are taking a $50 hit on each one sold.

The cost price on that set is probably around the $30 mark. BigW will be getting a better buy price on the bilk lot they get from Lego wholesale then if that buy price may well be sweetened by a rebate program with the wholesaler.

BigW are a big player in Wollworths market place, they won't be taking hits in $ on this scale. Wollworths are loving taking the battle to Westfarmers.

That's how I see it from my experience working in retail.

Also as a retailer you may be purchasing 50 of these sets from Lego wholesale, BigW would probably purchase say 2000 of each of the 3 sets that are all at the end of the life of that run.

They will be getting a much sweeter deal. I worked out 2000 as I saw about 10 of each set at a couple of BigW stores.

When a major retailer store has a 20% off they take some of the hit but rebates take care of some of it too. It is big businesses way of making money.

It's probably somewhere in between those two scenarios. BigW can afford a lower margin due to bulk turnover and buying power enables a better wholesale price, obviously. In all likelihood they were offered a cheap deal on an old set that obviously didn't sell well and was sitting around in some warehouse - so they buy it as a catalogue deal and all parties are happy and most likely still all made a profit. Big W doesn't tend to be ruthless when moving older stock on - as evidenced by my local still trying to move Blizzard's Peak at full rrp.

Also, sorry to be picky, but it's 'Woolworths' and 'Wesfarmers'.

Edited by DrWeevil

Also, sorry to be picky, but it's 'Woolworths' and 'Wesfarmers'.

Westfarmers owns Coles, Target, Kmart,Bunnings and heaps of other reatilers . Woolworths is a seperate company which runs BigW and Dick Smith and others, Woolworths are just about to enter the hardware market in Australia to go up against Westfarmers owned Bunnings.

Woolworths is not westfarmers.

I think you will find he was pointing out the spelling mistake, not correcting who owned who :)

Edited by ang911

Westfarmers owns Coles, Target, Kmart,Bunnings and heaps of other reatilers . Woolworths is a seperate company which runs BigW and Dick Smith and others, Woolworths are just about to enter the hardware market in Australia to go up against Westfarmers owned Bunnings.

Woolworths is not westfarmers.

Wesfarmers is not Westfarmers, Woolworths is not Wollworths. I believe that was the point being made - no one is asserting that they are one and the same company.

Wesfarmers is not Westfarmers, Woolworths is not Wollworths. I believe that was the point being made - no one is asserting that they are one and the same company.

Yup :wink:

Hey folks, can we try to keep this on topic, we don't want this thread being locked.

In sales news, Toys R Us have 20% off City sets for the long weekend. This includes their exclusive Public Transport set.

Hewman where did you get the info on this Toys R Us sale, I have checked out their promotions page but nothing there. My Daughter loves the City sets.

Hewman where did you get the info on this Toys R Us sale, I have checked out their promotions page but nothing there. My Daughter loves the City sets.

I'm on their email list, they called it their long weekend sale. I was assuming it's a long weekend everywhere this weekend (it is in Adelaide), so hopefully I haven't misled anyone and the sale is nationwide.

This is a sales thread, lets keep the discussion on topic. Spellign mistakes are bound to hppaen won and thne ko? :laugh:

"Stay on Target!"

Yep, 'Hewman' is right about TRU and 20% off Lego city.....oh, I wish I had more money ! :cry_sad:

Yes, it should be Aus-wide - here in Vic we don't have the long weekend but I received the same email.

Hewman's given you his specific response (being on their email list) but here's another, more general way:

Toys R Us, and most other major retailers' catalogues and letterbox drops ("junk mail") are placed on Lasoo:

http://www.lasoo.com.au/catalogues.html

Currently, Toys R Us is up near the top, as its sale starts soon. Clicking on it reveals the actual pages rendered in your browser, virtually the same as if you had the real printed pages in front of you. You can page through by clicking.

Lasoo is good enough that you can put a No Junk Mail sticker on your letterbox and still have access to all the current promotions IF AND WHEN YOU CHOOSE.

I try to make a habit of checking Lasoo every morning if I have time. I'm not a compulsive shopper (well, apart from the L word) but it's a great way of being efficient about evaluating what might be a useful purchase.

Just wanted to clarify does the TRU sale apply to City sets only, no discount to Star Wars, mini figs or other themes?

That is indeed correct.