mvLego

Posing a Movable Horse in Stud.io?

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the positioning of the movable horse in Stud.io? I'd like to have it rearing up, but it doesn't look possible from what I can see. Any help appreciated!

edit: I forgot to use a question mark in the title

Edited by mvLego

If you click a part that you want to rotate and press R it will show you some articulation points and a guess on how connected pieces will rotate too.

It's a slow and anger-inducing process but possible. Basically - create sub-models based on articulation points - torso, leg upper part, leg lower part - etc.

The most useful tool in using rotation and posing models is the HIDE feature. Sometimes the suggested rotation includes many parts that don't move, so you can HIDE them and the suggestion will catch up and ignore them too.

Beware that you'll have to do the process in phases FOR EACH joint - so start with the hind legs, rotate the torso around the back legs, then rotate the front legs out from the torso and so on.

Thank you! Unfortunately, the program doesn't want to treat the horse assembly as individual pieces/parts (at least not that I can see). Is there a way to break it up into the different components?

On 11/4/2022 at 7:13 AM, mvLego said:

Thank you! Unfortunately, the program doesn't want to treat the horse assembly as individual pieces/parts (at least not that I can see). Is there a way to break it up into the different components?

Is it a submodel? (Similar to the hinge)

No answer from the topic poster. I suspect the new horse with 'posable' back legs is meant here.

10352c01pb08.jpg
In general, these are treated as one part in Stud.io and individual parts can't be moved, e.g. all movable pneumatic components and 3L Technic joints.

To be able to move individual parts these need to build up in Stud.io from their individual components. If the individual components are not available as official parts, most likely they are available in LDraw library. In the case of the horse they are. Download all .dat files (and their related files) and put them in the right location in your Stud.io folder and restart Stud.io, they should appear as Custom parts. If not, try opening the .dat files in Parts Designer and 'publish' to Stud.io from there.

Note that custom parts are not transferred to Bricklink wanted lists on export, in the case of the horse it should be added manually to an exported wanted list.

Edited by Berthil
added wanted list remark and horse image

On 11/21/2022 at 3:45 PM, Jdrewg said:

Is it a submodel? (Similar to the hinge)

Unfortunately, no.

15 hours ago, Berthil said:

No answer from the topic poster. I suspect the new horse with 'posable' back legs is meant here. 

Yes, I was referring to the poseable horse. Studio refers to it as "movable" but I agree that poseable is a better description.

15 hours ago, Berthil said:

To be able to move individual parts these need to build up in Stud.io from their individual components. If the individual components are not available as official parts, most likely they are available in LDraw library. In the case of the horse they are. Download all .dat files (and their related files) and put them in the right location in your Stud.io folder and restart Stud.io, they should appear as Custom parts. If not, try opening the .dat files in Parts Designer and 'publish' to Stud.io from there.

Thank you! I had no idea about the custom parts. I'll look into setting the correct pivot points later, but I was able to add the parts to Studio for now.

Relevant helpful links for future folks:

Good that it works.

In the last version of Stud.io on my iMac, all custom parts I had imported were gone. With Time Machine I got back the 'CustomParts' folder that resides in the ldraw folder on an iMac. Upon restart I had all custom parts back but the folder had been renamed to 'Custom Parts' by Stud.io (with space).