MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Death star GWP, I kinda like it, I mean it looks about as good something that size can, and frankly even the UCS ones aren't that great. For a little desk item, I think it's awesome, the price point to get it I understand. Seems underwhelming. But it is free, and alot of people spend on the new sets anyway.

Plans, I dont care that much about, but again its free. I liked the beskar keychain, but of course never use it, this will sit and maybe be sold for a couple bucks if lucky someday.

Polybag is nice, but available at target and other locations. I picked one up recently to see if I wanted to use it as a replacement for my rebel fleet. Too big, nose to long, so used some elements of it to make a new version of my own. Its a good add on, but not amazing.

Overall I think if they replaced the plans or added a figure in there anywhere, people would be more excited.

Wonder when the embargo for UCS X-Wing reviews will be up. There have been some unboxing videos. Just 4 stickers, 2 in the cockpit and 2 that look like under-wing details.

Based on Rivendell timeline (1.5 weeks) reviews should be posted in 2 weeks

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

I really wish Lego would give the prequel era starfighters the OT treatment. What I mean by that is packing it with related characters that really aren't going to appear in a set any time soon. They were almost onto it last year by putting Taun We in the Obi-wan Fighter but they seem to have regressed this year with the Yoda Interceptor (apparenly just yoda and R2)

Why don't they just bump up the price on these sets and throw in 2 more interesting characters? I'd gladly pay $40 for a yoda starfighter if it also included 1 or 2 extra clone wars era figures that are unlikely to end up in a set soon.
For example the $50 X-wing gives you Leia and Dodanna as it's kinda wildcard figures, the $65 Tie Bomber has Sloane and a Gonk Droid, The $45 Tie Fighter gives you an extra storm trooper and NI-L8 (I can excluse that being 3 figures because most of these sets are padded with an astromech anyway) there's plenty of other examples of Rebel and Imperial ships coming with the expected pilot, astromech and cool niche named character (Raddus, Connix, Porkins, Goss Toowers, Dodanna, Moroff, Bistan, Sloane, NI-L8, You're telling me these are well known?)

Why doesn't Lego just bump up the price and give us extra figures in the prequel ships. Doesn't have to be flagship characters you could sell a set with i.e im not suggesting they put Count Dooku and Captain Rex in the yoda starfighter but put like Luminara and a wookie (ROTS related) in there or something.

We only get so many sets each year with Lego and generally not much of it is dedicated to the prequels (this year being a welcome exception ofc) so it makes total sense to use those prequel starfighters they do almost every year to give us figures we might not get to see in any other prequel sets. For example what set could you realistically put Plo Koon in? His starfighter, a wolffepack gunship and a republic vehicle of some kind. But which of those are likely to happen any time soon? we're probs never gonna see his starfighter again, we're not getting a wolffepack gunship for a very long time (if ever, i'd be staggered if that actually ever happens) and there are too many more scene accurate Jedi you can put in republic vehicles (Luminara, Turbo Tank. Aayla, AT-AP etc) So it just seems like a Plo Koon figure is going to be a very unlikely future character. So why not put characters like him in the starfighters? He can't sell a $150 set himself but he can make a $30 set worth $35, add in another similarly unlikely character like Shaak Ti and you have a jedi starfighter with 3 jedi and an astromech for $40 hell, $45-$50 wouldn't be unreasonable if the build and figures are particularly pleasing.

Lego definitely gets that the $40-$70 starfighter/ship range is the prime place to just throw in random niche figures but they don't seem to want to put in the minimal extra effort to do it with prequel characters. You may say "oh well nobody knows who those nicher clone wars characters are, the general consumer wouldn't care" but that argument doesn't work, we got General Dodanna, V.Admiral Sloane, NI-8L, even if they might be visually recognisable, Barely anyone knows who they are. Certainly not the parents buying X-wings for their kids and certainly not the general consumber buying an x-wing for their display. So those figures seem to exist because Lego knows it'd be cool for AFOLs.

So why waste the prequel ships on just pumping out yet another jedi starfighter and one of the 3 jedi they still make them for accompanied with R2D2? At the very least it would stop them from releasing an almost duplicate set like with the yoda starfighter.

I like the Death Star plans a lot better than the Beskar keychain last year. The Death Star build is very meh, and if I wasn’t already going to spend $210 on the Justifier I probably wouldn’t have even cared to hit the top threshold.

43 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Why doesn't Lego just (bump up the price &) give us extra figures in the prequel ships. 

Uh, they are already bumping up the price, extra characters yes but don't ask the to bump up the price, they're doing enough of that already :laugh::roflmao::cry_sad:

44 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Why doesn't Lego just bump up the price 

My brother in Christ please dont encourage this mindset when the company actively preys on it with their ever growing profits.

LEGO can very much do what you are asking for without jacking up the prices to stupid levels but do it anyway because people like you ask for it and price out the vast majority of the market.

I know this forum has the die hard fans but most of us just want to buy some sets and enjoy and we all aren't made out of 1000's of dollars of disposable income.

Buying the UCS MF and star destroyer on discount took me months of saving and even then I took time to recover from unloading 900$ in one shot.

I dont want to have this 332nd trooper style set that charges me 30$ for a battlepack build and desirable figures be the norm when a few years ago the same set would've been priced at an affordable range for the general market to purchase 

Edited by SCREDEYE

3 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

My brother in Christ please dont encourage this mindset when the company actively preys on it with their ever growing profits.

Facts.

There's no real reason LEGO need to be increasing prices like this. They made a lot of money and continue doing so. The Swamp Speeder being so expensive is outrageous...what's effectively happening is poorer ppl are getting priced out of getting any of this stuff bc everything else is also going up. It's not right.

5 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

I know this forum has the die hard fans but most of us just want to buy some sets and enjoy and we all aren't made out of 1000's of dollars of disposable income

Preach brother. 

1 hour ago, Hhalcyon said:

I really wish Lego would give the prequel era starfighters the OT treatment.  

It is speculation but I feel like the next few years will be more prequel/Disney+ orientated seeing as for the past 2-3 years we’ve gotten a lot of OT sets. 

I do get the need for new ships/characters but unfortunately I am also a sucker for a Jedi star fighter when they announced the rumour of obi wans star fighter last year I did pray it was going to be his Utapau one (blue one). 

its hard because there is so much Star Wars content out that Lego can’t meet everyone’s demands. I can’t believe given Jedi fallen orders success and the hype for Jedi survivor that we’ve got nothing (especially as other video games have got a Lego set). 5-10 years ago those Purge troopers would have had a battle pack of there own. I feel like a lot of the Disney+ shows had a lot of set potential, going down to one battle pack a year hasn’t helped either. I think they’ve been safe since Covid with sets Clones and OT will always get Lego money. at least some of the summer sets sound a bit different from the past years

I wonder if the holiday special diorama is hinting at future sequel sets, even UCS sets. With current Star Wars media now trying to explain some of the phenomena in the sequels (namely cloning of you know who), and the upcoming Ridley movie, it’ll be more relevant than it has been since TROS. 

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Uh, they are already bumping up the price, extra characters yes but don't ask the to bump up the price, they're doing enough of that already :laugh::roflmao::cry_sad:

1 hour ago, SCREDEYE said:

LEGO can very much do what you are asking for without jacking up the prices to stupid levels but do it anyway because people like you ask for it and price out the vast majority of the market.

I know this forum has the die hard fans but most of us just want to buy some sets and enjoy and we all aren't made out of 1000's of dollars of disposable income.

Buying the UCS MF and star destroyer on discount took me months of saving and even then I took time to recover from unloading 900$ in one shot.

I dont want to have this 332nd trooper style set that charges me 30$ for a battlepack build and desirable figures be the norm when a few years ago the same set would've been priced at an affordable range for the general market to purchase 

That sucks and all but like, if they're charging $30 for a star fighter with 2 figures, they're going to increase the price if they add more figures. That's how it works whether you like it or not. You can complain all you want but that's the realistic eventuality. Atleast here, if they're upping the price you're getting more for your price rather than them just slowly adding $2 every year and adding nothing.

You can kick and scream about it all you want, Lego isn't on your side. You want more figures you pay more money. My preference would be getting niche things into circulation. If that costs me an extra $10-20 a YEAR (considering they'd be making a max of one of these starfighters each year) I'll gladly take it. It's cheaper and better than having to go buy old awful looking figures for like $30 each. If you're not willing to pay $40 for a yoda starfighter with 3-4 figures IDK why you'd be willing to buy a $30 yoda starfighter with just yoda and R2. That's the dumb mindset to me, NOT asking lego to use their limited release slots more effectively. If you're not gonna buy it either way, why even mention it?

Seems like if cost is an issue, neither of those sets are worth it. But for those of us with the extra income a $40 set with 3-4 figures is objectively more worthwile and better value than a $30 one with 2.

It's not like im saying "Duuurrrr lego keep putting price up i keep buying anywaya nyaha consoom product" im asking for a better product and im willing to pay more for it. If you think Lego should make better products and charge less for them, that's nice and all but where have you been for the last 300 years of human history, when has any company ever done that. If you want to force lego to change more towards that maybe stop buying their awful $30 star fighters until they actually do make it worth your while. But here in practical normal land I'd suggest an outcome that benefits both parties. We get better stuff, they get more money. I'm not gonna be alive for a thousand years to see Lego eventually dartboard their way to giving us everything we want so if I have to pay $10 extra to actually get the product while i'm alive. I'M GOING TO.

This episode really delivered, one of my favourites so far of the entire show! Some aspects DEFINITELY need the LEGO treatment, especially

Gideon's new armour, the Beskar Stormtroopers, and the Praetorian Guards. In my headcanon, those three buggers are still among the guards in TLJ. So they get what they deserve for killing poor Paz 

:devil_laugh: 

7 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

If you want to force lego to change more towards that maybe stop buying their awful $30 star fighters until they actually do make it worth your while.

I see what you're saying and certainly agree with part of it. There's such a hype built up these days around buying things Day 1, I think Lego is seeing the willingness of their customer base to pay basically any amount for sets.

I would really encourage people to look for good value in the Lego they buy. I'm not saying don't buy it, I'm saying wait for sales and clearance, be patient, and make comparisons between different products so you know the market.

Lego does not price their sets primarily based on cost to produce, they price them based on what they think they can get. They generally decide on price points before a set is even designed. The 18+ lineup generally includes less "stuff" per dollar compared to many of the playsets, because Lego is pitching these collectors' products to people who are able/willing to pay more. I'm not defending that, I think it's crappy, but if people keep pre-ordering every Lego Star Wars set that comes in a black box for $100+, the company isn't going to bother releasing cheaper products.

If nobody buys the new snub fighter because it only has 2 minifigs for $35, maybe Lego will be incentivized to add more figs in future starfighter sets (I realize this is pretty optimistic.) So as a consumer base, we have to try to vote with our wallets here. Don't let the influencers hype you up to pre-order everything through their affiliate links, just so you can have a set a few weeks or months earlier than if you'd waited for a discount.

21 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

If you want to force lego to change more towards that maybe stop buying their awful $30 star fighters until they actually do make it worth your while.

Come on man ppl with the same disposable income you talked about literally will pay extra to buy these sets anyway, it won't change a thing....cuz they actually can do it. And so long as they do, it won't matter whether those who aren't able to pay that say "well im not buying this set because it's too expensive". The idea of consumer having choice is...well an illusion frankly

Hey guys, does anyone know if the tie interceptor’s cockpit has a new print in the set? I was watching some of the early reviews, but I am not quite sure.

2 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Reveal hidden contents

Now we know where Lego got the Star Wars mech idea from. :head_back:

Bruh. :laugh:

Maybe that'll be in wave 2.

8 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Reveal hidden contents

Now we know where Lego got the Star Wars mech idea from. :head_back:

Good one :snicker: Wonder what happened to that early rumour… Then again, it was Fulcrum who brought it up, and we know his track record :tongue:

GWPs look reasonably good for what they are so I don't hate them like some people do, but it is a bit of a letdown after what we got last year. Lars kitchen really was the best of both worlds having both a build and a minifig.

2 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

I wonder if the holiday special diorama is hinting at future sequel sets, even UCS sets. With current Star Wars media now trying to explain some of the phenomena in the sequels (namely cloning of you know who), and the upcoming Ridley movie, it’ll be more relevant than it has been since TROS. 

Holiday Special Diorama?

9 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Interesting promos. The DSII....just doesn't do it for me at 150. If it had a figure, maybe. 

The DS plans, interesting. I want to see them in hand. 

Glad to get the X-Wing though, that is a quite nice build in my opinion. 

This year continue to dissapoint, of what we have seen at least, I know people will remind me there are some promising sets rumored, we will see when pictures start to leaking if I will change my mind. 

5 hours ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

Death star GWP, I kinda like it, I mean it looks about as good something that size can, and frankly even the UCS ones aren't that great. For a little desk item, I think it's awesome, the price point to get it I understand. Seems underwhelming. But it is free, and alot of people spend on the new sets anyway.

Plans, I dont care that much about, but again its free. I liked the beskar keychain, but of course never use it, this will sit and maybe be sold for a couple bucks if lucky someday.

Polybag is nice, but available at target and other locations. I picked one up recently to see if I wanted to use it as a replacement for my rebel fleet. Too big, nose to long, so used some elements of it to make a new version of my own. Its a good add on, but not amazing.

Overall I think if they replaced the plans or added a figure in there anywhere, people would be more excited.

Sure its free, but alot of people, Im one of them, I do not buy anyting on May the forth if the GWP is not good enough, so I still think that lego are loosing considerable gaining by releasing underwhelming GWPs. the new sets I will just buy a bit later on amazon instead. 

2 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

You can kick and scream about it

Tbh, you're the one kicking and screaming, typing an essay worth of posts complaining about Lego and the prequels, complaining and asking about stuff we already answered, 😂, pure meltdown and being hypocritical, also please don't bother responding to this, i actually do not care and will not respond, so you'll be talking to a brickwall, vote with your wallet if you want things to change 😂

4 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Facts.

Preach brother. 

I preach both of y'all, truly factual, not everyone can spend a morbillion euros or dollars on Lego.

27 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Tbh, you're the one kicking and screaming, typing an essay worth of posts complaining about Lego and the prequels, complaining and asking about stuff we already answered, 😂, pure meltdown and being hypocritical, also please don't bother responding to this, i actually do not care and will not respond, so you'll be talking to a brickwall, vote with your wallet if you want things to change

"nope argument over i win, no more talking i win don't talk to me i win LALALALALALALA NOT LISTENING i win i win"      

I know we're all fans of what is a kids toy but i expected the tiniest bit more maturity in response to something you don't like. My response was lengthy but it was hardly a "meltdown" Mr B.Rickwall.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Holiday Special Diorama?

Yes, the one leaked by FluffySky6 on Reddit. Supposedly it’s going to be a GWP but it’s going to include 3 minifigs and BB-8, so I’m assuming it’s more than just a tiny May 4th-style promo. 

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Bruh. :laugh:

Maybe that'll be in wave 2.

Wave 2-if it happens- will 100% be The Mandalorian, a Luke variant, and some variation clone trooper, likely one that's not in a battle pack, but not exceedingly difficult to get. I'd put money on it. Same way I'd say I'm confident we get a Mando diorama next year if those continue.

Excellent episode with very clear battle pack potential. I'm also so incredibly happy for 

Spoiler

Skinny Pete's actor, Charles Baker

, who's made his love for The Mandalorian very clear. I'm glad he got to be part of it.