BatteryPoweredBricks

My Computer Controlled Lego Monorail Layout (Power Functions + Mindstorms + Lego Dacta Control Lab)

This project took months to make, with much help from this forum.  I had issues with the Bluetooth communication between two pairs of NXT units, trouble finding the right HiTechnic IR commands for the Power Functions Servos and hadn't found the official Control Lab software until it was posted here.  So hats off to the all of the great members here for the help along the way!

TLDR there is a video below

I wanted to make a computer controlled Lego monorail layout (ok, ok *automated* Lego monorail layout but I need to rethink how the system works before I get that far).  Each switch / button on the Control Lab page corresponds to a "mechanical relay" that uses a motor to press or release an NXT touch sensor.  The two Primary NXT units then send bluetooth commands to the secondary units which control the switch tracks and direction switches.  The direction switches are changed by third party "Lego compatible" PF servos (I needed 5 of them and I'm not paying $100 each for official ones).  The PF commands are sent from HiTechnic sensors on each secondary NXT.

The Power Functions IR receivers are powered from 9v train regulators with custom adapters.  The PF IR receivers are powered by the outer two wires, so an official 9v to PF wire will not work.  I purchased cheap third party PF extension cables online and cut them, then I used reclaimed 9v wire connectors to finish them, making sure to use the outer wires and that the POLARITY WAS CORRECT.  The 4 NXT units have the older version of the rechargeable battery which used the same 9-12V AC input as the train regulators and the Lego Dacta Serial Interface.  Which means...

Another appearance from my Lego Power Supply, and boy does it shine here!  Ok, It's really not much more than a distribution box and a 12VAC transformer but give the guy some credit.  Instead of 7 AC adapters or transformers all piled onto surge protectors, I'm using one 110v plug and then run low voltage wires to each device with custom length cables.

I look forward to automating the layout if I find the time and my back doesn't give me too much trouble.  Carting all of this stuff out of my Lego room for a weekend really did a number on me, but no pain no gain, right?  Thanks again to everyone who assisted in this project!  Play Well!

dude that looks absolutely sick. nice work figuring out how to make it all fit together! also would love to see an expanded version of this!

Very cool project! It's fun seeing all those rare electronics from different systems working together!

Is there any particular reason that you used the Dacta controller to control the Mindstorms, rather than just controlling the Mindstorms directly? It seems a little bit superfluous to me, though I get that it would be fun to implement just for its own sake!

14 hours ago, Jack_Moore said:

dude that looks absolutely sick. nice work figuring out how to make it all fit together! also would love to see an expanded version of this!

Me too :pir-grin: I pretty much used every bit of monorail track I had on hand, I think my next layout I'll go back to trains due to cost concerns.  In order to expand I'd also need to figure out a more robust solution for the Control Lab to interface with the NXTs, only so much can be done with 8 on and off states.  

10 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Very cool project! It's fun seeing all those rare electronics from different systems working together!

Is there any particular reason that you used the Dacta controller to control the Mindstorms, rather than just controlling the Mindstorms directly? It seems a little bit superfluous to me, though I get that it would be fun to implement just for its own sake!

I went with the Dacta serial interface just for the software itself, I think it's underutilized and something many haven't seen before.   I don't know of a good way to control the Mindstorms devices directly besides a bunch of touch sensors.  I like that the software has some visual feedback too, when a switch track is straight the switch icon is green and when it's switched the icon is red and different icons can be used for different functions.  I also like to keep things as close to 100% Lego software / hardware as I can.

The wheels are always turning for new ideas, I'm open to suggestions on how to expand / improve this control system for monorails or trains.

Not exactly an update to the layout, but I did make an updated video.  It took me over a month to edit and I'm very glad to have it done.  This video tells the story of how this project came about, and all the issues I had along the way.  Shout out to members of this forum helping me with various issues and a huge thanks to @evank for archiving Lego DACTA software and guides!

So in 2023, using 2008 hardware/software controlled by early nineties hardware/software... to control late eighties monorails...

What a wonderful thing!

10 hours ago, hsousa said:

Truly amazing, unbelievable work there! 

3 hours ago, KirTech LAB said:

That's incredible! This layout is a dream of any kid from 3 to 99 :)))

Thanks for the kind words!

3 hours ago, vascolp said:

So in 2023, using 2008 hardware/software controlled by early nineties hardware/software... to control late eighties monorails...

What a wonderful thing!

Well 2022 technically, but the DACTA Control Lab still makes it's way into most of my projects.  Bit of a spoiler alert but my video that releases tomorrow will feature a GBC layout controlled with the DACTA Control Lab :pir-grin:

It's always been so much fun to me to combine old and new Lego electronics in creative ways.  I stood on the shoulders of geniuses to be able to make something like this.  Decades of Lego fans reverse engineering and tinkering with these devices and sharing their exploits online.  Not to mention the third party sensor developers.  Glad to be part of a community that plays so well :classic: