Sign in to follow this  
ShilohCyan

Need to catch up on new colors. Which sets?

I'm getting back into Lego the past year and a half after a semi-hiatus during the 2010s and I find myself lacking basic pieces in the colors I need since they just weren't plentiful when I was a kid, and most of what I've bought as an AFOL has highly specialized pieces in models I want to keep together  

#11022 Space Mission looks promising for filling out my collection but it barely covers dark red, dark blue, and dark green which I need lately. So which sets would be good for stocking up on BASIC bricks, plates, and tiles in those colors, without resorting to bricklink or pick a brick?

also curved stuff in both light and dark grey?

Dark Blue is currently not really en vogue at LEGO, so this will be hard. It used to be hip two, three years ago with lots of Ninjago and LEGO Movie 2 stuff. Aside from the Ford Mustang (10265) I'm not aware of a "big" set that would offer Dark Blue elements in bulk. There's some in Deep Sea Creatures (31088) and the Supersonic Jet (31126), but the parts selection may be limited and not that useful to you. Same for Dark Green. It's the curse of LEGO going through those cycles every year with some favorite color becoming predominant and being used in a lot of sets, only to mostly disappear shortly after. There were plenty of Dark Green pieces in the Architecture Great Wall of China(21041) and the Ideas Pop-Up Book (21315). As older sets they may be hard to come buy, though. Dark Red is a bit better since it's used a lot in Super Heroes sets (Iron Man, obviously) plus there's the Pick Up Truck (10290) and Sunken Treasure Mission (31130) with a few useful pieces. That said, of course you can find bits and pieces of these colors in many sets, it might just not be effective to scrape them together this way, so it seems you can't avoid Bricklink entirely. Dark Red and Dark Green 1 x 2 bricks were available through Pick A Brick a few years ago, so you should easily find them in bulk at some dealer who had stocked up then.

Mylenium